icon

791xv Siren

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ok I had this installed at a Best Buy(I don't know nearly enough to do it myself for now...) and everything work well enough I think. Only a few concerns:

#1: The panic is well, a joke. 3 seconds of siren then stops.

#2: The siren isn't very loud from what I have heard so far, I prefer it to atleast draw a little more attention.
#3: I myself have physically pushed the car around a bit after that alarm has been on a while, and it hasn't triggered the alarm. It is supposed to detect light/heavy impacts, and well, I'd say odds are, a car could probably scrape/nudge and it wouldn't go off. That can be 100-300 dollars of paint damage. Should it be sensitive enough to go off by me pushing it fairly hard?

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
kenmci 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

For that alarm I think that you may need to hold down the either the lock or star * button for about five seconds to set off the alarm. 

There are two wires on the back of the siren one is for soft chirp and the other is for the sounds on the siren.  If you want it to be louder you can cut both wire loops in half and it will be a little louder.

The shock sensors on this model detech impacts so if you rock the car it will not work.  Since you had it installed at bestbuy you can take it back and have them turn up the sensitivity on the shock sensor.  It has been my experience that they turn the sensors down because people come back and complain that the sensor is too sensitive.  At least that's what i was told.

Worst case, take it back and let the installers know your concerns, if they are doing their job, they'll explain to you how it works and will fix the problems that you have.

vinman75 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 2:22 AM / IP Logged  
Go back and ask how much they will install the tilt motion sensor for. That sensor(if installed correctly) will sense the rocking of the vehicle and if the vehicle is jacked up.
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 3:46 AM / IP Logged  

Keep in mind that you've had installed a decent alarm, but with standard sensors.  If you want something that is extremely sensitive, then you probably need a Clifford alarm with "omnisensor" and clifford digital tilt and prox sensors.  See this link:  http://clifford.com/g5/access/default.asp   and scroll down to read about the Omnisensor.  it is ONLY available with Clifford's higher end systems, but it's extremely sensitive like it sounds like you want.

Remember that an alarm is only as good as it's sensors.  The fact that an alarm taps into the door and trunk trigger wires, makes it no different than the cheezy factory alarms that are installed on some cars for ridiculous amounts of money and I had over $1,200 worth of damage to my car without the factory alarm going off.  This is what lead me to purchase a Clifford alarm.  Having very sensitive sensors on the car is really what let's you set the alarm so that it can go off if someone looks at your car funny.  This is not falsing though because these sensors will not trigger the alarm for nothing.  You can set them VERY sensitive without getting a lot of false alerts.

In your situation where the alarm is already installed.  I'd certainly take it back to Bestbuy and have them adjust (at least the warn away zone of your shock sensor) to be as sensitive as possible, and then fine tune your alarm trigger zone after that to go off if someone hits the car any harder than what would cause your car to chirp a warn away.

My $.02 

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic