icon

do i need more juice?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ratt 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2002 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY SYSTEM WHEN IT HITS LOW BASS AT HI-VOLUME LEVEL............

I HAVE A STOCK ALTERNATOR HOOKED TO AN OPTIMA RED TOP (750CCA.980CA)FROM THERE ITS 4 AWG FUSED 12" FROM BATTERY,4 AWG TO MY DISTRIBUTION BLOCK .4 AWG TO MY ROCKFORD 1 FARAD CAP TO MY AMP(CAP LESS THEN 18 " FROM AMP WITH 4AWG WIRE..1200 WATTS).GROUND ALSO 4 AWG WIRE ,LESS THEN 18" LONG TO PRETTY SOLID FRAME GROUND....2 OTHER AMPS FROM DISTRIBUTION BLOCK RUNNING ON 8 GAUGE WIRE POSATIVE AND NEGATIVE.400 WATT AND 200 WATT.WHEN BASSING AT HIGH LEVELS IT ALMOSTS SOUNDS LIKE ITS MAKING THE CD SKIP (WITCH I KNOW 'S NOT THE CASE)WITH CAR IDLEING OR EVEN REV'D TO ABOUT 3500 RPMS STILL DOES IT..AND ITS MY WHOLE SYSTEM THAT ITS AFFECTING..SO WILL ANOTHER CAP HELP (WITCH I HAVE A 1/2 FARAD LEFT OVER) OR AN UPGRADED ALTERNATOR OR COMBINATION OF BOTH.AND IF ITS A COMBINATION HOW WILL IT AFFECT MY SYSTEM WHEN THE CAR IS NOT RUNNING.I LSO PLAN ON INSTALLING 1 MORE AMP AT 80X80.

1-1200W PYLE...1 400W PYLE ...1 200W LIGHTNING AUDIO...1-160W KENWOOD.(NOT INSTALLED YET)....4 TWEETERS,6 - 6 1/2 MIDS...2-12" SUBS (BANDPASS BOX)         (NOT THE HIGHEST QUALITY AUDIO COMPONETS BUT THEY WORK FOR ME)                        ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATFULL

HOPE I COVERED ANY INFO YOU MAY NEED

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2002 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  

it sounds like your runnin too many amps.....have you considered running 1 4 channel in place of yor 2    2 channels?     this would save you on current draw, possibly sound better too because your running items off the same amp.....also you shouldnt need another amp for your tweeters....if you have a crossover run your front or rear speakers along with you tweeters wired in parallel,   this will retain your 4 ohm load which most 4 channels need to be able to run all 4 channels.....if your looking for a inexpensive 4 channel that sounds good   look at the volfenhag 4 channels...I sell them as part of my low priced equipment, you should be able to find a 800 watt 4 channel for about $200 or less.   if you need any help email me at   Jeffchilcott@yahoo.com

2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Ratt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

well here's what i did ..i disconnected both amps and still having same problem any advice ...would be greatfull thanks

91blaze 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
i would try a bigger alternator instead of a cap. try disconnecting your cap and see if it still does it. and see if you can try different components like a different cd player or amp.
kevin1 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2002 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

IF THIS HAPPENS TO ALL SONGS , ITS DEFINATLEY THE HEAD UNIT BUT IF ITS ONLY CERTAIN CDS, GET RIDE OF THEM!!

MOBILE AUDIO IS MORE SENSETIVE THAN HOME STEREOS. TRY CLEANING UR HEAD UNIT!

BUT IF ALL ELSE FAILS, SLAM A LINE DRIVER IN! BOOST THE VOLT STRENGTH OUT OF UR DECK AND TURN UR AMPS DOWN. THIS SHOULD SAVE U QUITE A BIT OF DRAW OFF UR POWER SUPPLY.

GOOD LUCK.

JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  

What a sticky mess of answers.  Lets start with the last one.  If you throw a line driver on your system and turn the gain down on your amps it will not make a bit of difference (except give you better SQ do to lower signal loss).  The amps are going to draw the same amount of current at their peak output reguardless of whether the gain is turned 3/4 of the way up or if it is turned all the way down.  Remember that a gain control is not a volume control.  All the gain control is used for is to match the voltage level your deck puts out to the amplifier.  Some decks put out .5v, some 2v, some 4v, and some even 8v...  For instance, if your deck puts out 2v, turning the gain up about 4 times as much as you would if you had a deck with a 8v preout will obtain the same level of signal amplification.  At this level, the amp is going to draw the same amount of current whether or not you have 2v of signal or 8v of signal accordingly, plain and simple.  

Moving on up, disconnecting your cap is not going to make a difference.  Scratch that.  Try replacing it with a bigger cap if you do anything.

Next on the list, you dont need to replace any amps, you need to fix your existing problem by properly troubleshooting it.  If high levels of bass make it sound like your entire system is skipping, It is more likely than not your deck.  Think about it, it's coming through all the speakers along with the subs..  If this isn't the problem, there is a long list of things to check for.  First, look at the power lights on your amps when you crank your system and this occurs.  Are they flickering on and off?  If so, check your ground.  You can never assume that any ground is "solid," due to how that spot could have several welds and could possibly even be glued in several places before it reaches the battery.  Use a DMM and connect one lead to your negative battery terminal and one to the place you grounded your amps (you did ground them all at the same place, right?).  Check the resistance level.  If it reads high then start testing other remote locations that could possible provide a less resistive path to the battery.  Remember that you ground is just as important as that 4 gauge power wire running back to your amp, so get a good ground.  Also, if you haven't done this, upgrade your factory chassis ground wire running to the battery to a 4 gauge wire...  this will also lower resistance and allow more current to flow.  If the amp is indeed turning on and off, and you do have a good ground, take your DMM and see how low the voltage dips on your sub amp.  With a pyle amp, I'd think it might shut fairly easy with a good voltage drop because it has a crappy power supply.  If that is the case, check to see if your alternator is bad, and if so replace it.  If not, try upgrading your charging system and putting a bigger cap in.  As far as I'm concerned, the pyle amp cannot be putting out over 600w continous, and thats giving it a lot of credit... it's probably less than that.  So I think at most  you whole system isn't pulling more than 90 amps (probably not even 90, just a conclusion drawn upon what you have told me).  There are several more things it could be, and I don't feel like typing anymore, so if you need anymore help drop me a line...

-Jesse

jellynutz@aol.com

Earmark Car Audio - The Leader Loud and Clear

www.earmark.com   

JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ratt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged