icon

Can I install extra leds on an alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pyromed1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Can I install extra leds on an alarm system?  I tried tapping into the wire on the original led but the extra leds aren't very bright.  You would not be able to see through the tint.  I planned on putting one next to each door lock, so 2 extra.  Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Corey

rsudbay 
Copper - Posts: 68
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
run lead to a relay so input is stronger. then run from relay to led's
hey, everyone has got to start somewhere. but ill learn
misterjimbo 
Silver - Posts: 535
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
it depends on what rating the leds are. if they are not 12v leds then a relay will shorten the life by quite a large margin. i have hooked up a few leds in series off of the standard output of my aps 996a with no problems. like i said earlier it depends on the rating of the leds
audioCHIEF 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

If you want to add more leds I would leave the alarm led alone  and use the ignition kill [usually orange] wire through a diode to send a neg trigger  to the componet.

Chief did it !
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

Audio chief, you lost me.

Will this give the leds the same "Blink"?

Corey

bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  

Nope, they wil not blink wired in this way (above).  You could install a 'flasher' (corny).

I'd recommend wiring the LEDs in series.  You should be able to pull off wiring three LEDs if you're going to have your alarm LED and then one in each door.

I'm getting ready to wire FOUR on my Clifford alarm (they recommend four MAX), but they have to be wired in series.

I think that wiring extra LEDs is a great idea, because  "deterent" can be even better than the alarm.  The whole point is to keep people from damaging or stealing your property.  If seeing the LEDs makes a would-be thief change his mind about breaking in your car, it doesn't matter that you bought the cheapest alarm on the shelf, that it wasn't installed correctly (and doesn't work half the time), or that you may not even have an alarm and it's just a blinking LED on your dash.

My $.02

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

Can you describe how connecting them is series goes?

Thanks,

Corey

delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

I started a thread on this about a week ago. Here's what I gleaned from it all:

• You can wire up to 5 LEDs in series using the LED output on a DEI alarm brain.
  • Reversing polarity with a relay using the (-) 500mA Ground When Armed wire will drain your battery.
  • I tried 3 LEDs in parallel and they didn't work at all.
  • The LED output circuit itself is pulsed on a DEI brain so you don't need to buy flashing LEDs.
  • Low-current (2mA) LEDs are barely visible through the tinting on a rear door window or the tailgate glass on my GMC Envoy.

Pyromed1, for series you'll run a single wire from one LED harness wire to the first LED location, cut the wire at that LED, and splice each LED lead into one free end of the wire at that cut. Then you run that same wire to the next LED location and repeat the splice. After splicing the last LED in the series, you'll run that one wire back to the LED harness and attach it to the other LED harness wire. For parallel you'd run BOTH wires to each LED, splicing each leg of each LED to one of the wires. Single = current runs through each LED in single file.

delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
My bad, SERIES = current runs through each LED in single file.
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
You simply daisy chain the LEDs together connecting the negative lead of LED 1 to ground and the positive lead to the negative lead of LED 2.  The positive lead of LED 2 connects to the negative lead of LED 3, etc.  It's easier than it sounds.   ;)
2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic