icon

2nd Accessory Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
salb0006 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

I'm currently reading through the instructions to install a keyless entry/remote start into my 2000 Grand Am.  I have noticed in the wiring information for the vehicle that there are two accessory wires.  Now I believe I'm suppose to hook both of these up to the module, but it only has one output on it.  Am I suppose to split the one output and connect the two wires to two diiferent relays using a +12V?  Any help would be wonderful.  Also, if anyone knows where I can get a wiring diagram for the DEI 555L online, please let me know so I know more of what's involved before I do this myself.

Thanks for the help!!!

poncho 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
The one accessory wire from the module is connected to both accessory wire from the ignition. Just strip both accessory wires from ignition in the same place and wrap the single wire coming from the module around both of them together. 
bambam
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 4:28 AM / IP Logged  
DO NOT do that!  You need to use a relay to power up the second ignition wire.  Check the relay section here for how to do that or post here if you need more help.
cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with Player69, I've heard to never do that.  Plus it kind of makes sense....if they wanted the car's 2 ignition wires to touch....they would have just made them 1 wire.  So it doesn't seem right for them to touch.  Use a relay.
kparkk 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  

Player69,

could you please post the link to the relay addition your talking about ... I checked the relay section under special applications,  but didn't know which one exactly applies to this situation that salb0006 is facing. Thanks much .

salb0006 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2002 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I don't think the exact application for what I need is located on the site, but I haven't looked all that close to them.  If I assume correctly, I would attach the accessory output from the module to the 85 pins on both of the relays.  I would then connect +12V to the 87 pins, ground to the 86 pins and one of the car accessory wires to one of the 30 pins and the other car accessory wire to the second 30 pin.  If there are any corrections to be made to this, would someone please let me know.  Also, where would I connect the +12V that's suppose to be supplied to the 87 pins?  Thanks for the help.
salb0006 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

I have been looking around for quite a while now on this forum and at other places.  I guess what I'm wondering is whether or not the 2nd accessory wire is suppose to be wired to the control module or not.  Some places say yes, and some say no.  Please help me with this.

GSaquarius 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  
all of the remote start systems that i've seen driving external relays provide a low current  (500ma) negative output...refer to your owner's manual to see if it applies..these wires are usually small in size (18 ga. or smaller) if you're just adding one relay the 500ma will be suffient to trigger them both..on the other hand certain manufacturer's will have a separate wire in the module that provides a 500ma output specifically to drive a relay for an extra ignition wire......anyways once you have this information take the - output attach it to 85..... provide a fused +12v to 86 and 87....30 will go to your 2nd acc wire...87a is not used..........and for your concern about powering up the 2nd acc wire in the first place... ....some ignition wires are powered up to specifically start your vehicle and others provide power to other components in the vehicle like the radio for example.....go ahead and attach it anyways....if all of the ignition wires are not  powered up when you remote start, the computer may set a code and your abs or check engine light will be on....DID YOU GET YOUR PASSLOCK WIRES YET ?on the next post ...
MECP 1st Class and Basic

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic