icon

Help with Installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
salb0006 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

Soon, I'm going to install a keyless entry/remote start (Omega RS-7K2) into my 2000 Pontiac Grand Am.  I'm fairly certain I know what's going on, but not 100%.  These are a few questions that I have.

1)  I had asked a question earlier about two accessory wires on the car and only one output on the module and found out that I should use two relays to connect both of them up.  I don't know for sure which pins should be connected to what, but this is what I think.  If something's wrong, let me know.

• 85:       Accessory wire from module
  • 86:       Ground
  • 87:       +12V Fused Supply
  • 87a:    Nothing
  • 30:      Car's 1st or 2nd Accessory wire

2)  How do I determine if I have a split parking light system or a single wire system? 

3)  Does the Grand Am need a postive or negative pulse at the switch to pop the trunk?  The module supplies a 500mA Negative output.  Depending on what is needed, will I need a relay somewhere to complete the task?

4)  What type of door lock system do I have and how do I go about installing it?  It mentions something about a 1.5kohm resistor being needed and diode isolation.

5)  Where should I get all the +12V supplies for the relays?  I was thinking about using the constant +12V located in the ignition harness.  Is this a good/bad idea and is it fused or do I have to install a fuse for myself?

Well, I think this is it for now, but as I continue to gather information more questions may arise.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Jason

salb0006 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Is there anyone that has some input on any of these things?  If you can help somewhere, please respond.
cyoonak 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
I am actually installing a remote start in my 1999 Grand AM GT right now; bit by bit when i have time... To aid your door locks, it is a single wire, and it's a white wire. you'll need a 1500 ohm resistor and the wiring for the relays are as follows as supplied by Jeff off of this forum:
Relay # 1:
87: GROUND
86: 12 volts Constant
85: lock wire from alarm
30: WHITE lock wire on car
87a: NOT USED
Relay # 2 :
87: GROUND
86: 12 volts Constant
85: unlock wire from alarm
30: WHITE lock wire on car with 1500 ohm resistor
87a: NOT USED
make sure you use the negative output from the remote start for both lock and unlock. good luc
cyoonak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
As for the rest of your questions:
1. You should be able to use just one of the accessory wires, but make sure the one you use is for the HVAC controls so your car will warm up.
2. you have a single wire parking light, brown, on steering column.
3. trunk pop is positive, and you'll need a relay
4. see above
5. yes, you can can splice into the 12volt power of the harness. I'd just splice into the wire that goes into the brain since it is usually a pain to do multiple taps into the harness; espcially in the grand am...
hope this helps
salb0006 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  

Do, I really need to use relays for for the locks.  If the module supplies a negative pulse just like the relays appear to do, what's the difference?

Thanks

salb0006 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

Cyoonak

You have definately helped me out.  Thank you soooo much.  Now it's just a matter of doing it?!?!

cyoonak 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 1:07 PM / IP Logged  
have you started on your project? if so, let me know!
djfearny2 
Silver - Posts: 810
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
you need relays to isolate the two lock and unlocks wires going to the single door lock wire. and i belive the system is pos so you need to convert anyways.
Jon
Installer/Help Technician
---coral springs florida---
mecp certification is not always needed. I have it and it has not helped me out at all. my experience out shines it.
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2002 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
also when you use resistors you need a good solid ground not the 200-500 milliamps a brain put out . this is so you get the actual voltage drop you need if you start with 12 volts +  or - then use a resistor you get the correct voltage if you syart with less you get less as the end result. hope this explains it for you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic