icon

Ported for two 10, separate chambers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anim8r 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

I've heard that using separate chambers can annihilate subs (due to resonance) if one goes.

I've read alot of threads and can't decide what to do.  Common chamber with one port? or divided/braced(sealed off) from each other with two ports? Running two 10" infinity 1030W.  I've also read that infinity's are more for SQ, and should be put in sealed.  The manufacturer's datasheet suggests ported or sealed, with detailed diagram for one sub only (1.75 cu ft for ported). I'd like to do two separate chambers in one box, but share the knowledge :) I want these put in this weekend :D

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 1:19 AM / IP Logged  

Unless you mistyped your first sentence it is the opposite of the truth.  Separate chambers will protect the subs if there is a problem with one of them.  If one fails the other still has it's own precise amount of air space.  Generally, a sub that is engineered for a sealed box will require an extra long port length if you want to use it that way.  Check your sub specs out.  Use the Fs and Qes numbers in this division:  Fs/Qes = EBP.  If the EBP is around 50, it will work best in a sealed box.

If you're going with the ported specs, you can be most accurate by using the manufacturer's guidelines and putting each sub in it's own vented chamber.  The baffle between the subs will help with the bracing, too.

anim8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
ok thx :) Plugged in that calc and it's closer to 70
alpine7995 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
hey i have those subs i got them 4 50 bucks new and they sound nice in a sealed box too.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2005 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
There were a couple of good threads about boxes started by kingpin in the last couple of weeks, do a search and find them, there is some great reading in there that will apply to you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
anim8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

Cool, read 'em, thanks :)

Hey while I've got your attention Forbidden, I'm building my box tomorrow night, just wondering if port placement is important.  I'm putting in two infinity 10" reference 1030W, going by the spec sheet as much as possible. 40"x15"x15" dimensions is only 0.1 cubic feet off spec, i'm gonna make it a bit taller to make up for it, maxin' out the dimensions of my '99 corolla ;)

So, back to port placement, let's envision 1/2 the box, since it's 2 separate chambers. I've got 20", approx 10" occupied by the sub itself, approx 3" by the round PVC port (+thickness), and 0.375" by the center brace (1/2 of the 3/4 MDF I'm using). This leaves 6.625" for spacing things out, not all that much, which is why i'm 'concerned'.

Here's how I'm thinking though, a speaker is a cone, so really, i can probably jam it up 1" or so away from the sidewalls, so i'll cram the actual subs into the top inner corners (middle by the brace) leaving 1" spacing from all walls.  that'll leave me with 5.625 inches for port spacing, the ports are going out wide by the way, speakers in, ports out.

THE QUESTIONS:

Should i put the port 1/2 way, OR closer to the sub, OR closer to the sidewall? And does it matter where the speakers go?

Please correct any stupidities or give me the thumbs up :)  I've read alot about this stuff, haven't found a good SOLID theory on port placement, but it's alot to take in at first.

anim8r 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

Also, I've read that you should keep ports at least 1 port diameter away from anything around it. Impossible with my 'real-estate', unless i recalculate to a 2" port or something, which I'd rather not do... heard small isn't as good... (That's what the ladies say too ;))

CORRECTION TO ABOVE POST^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^:

"I've read alot about this stuff, but it's alot to take in at first.  I haven't found a good SOLID theory on port placement"

there. lol.... When do i get my edit post? :P

Jman1980 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

Allright partner I've worked with the infinity in sealed and ported enclosures.  First of all you'll wanna build a slot port box second when doing the slot port box you can actually make the side wall part of your port to save some time just make sure if you do that you add half the port width to length of port for tuning calculations. Next you'll have to decide on box size for the tens you want that to be from 1ft3 to 1.75ft3 per sub  and remember the smaller the more punchy it will be the bigger it is the louder the deep notes will be. and finally you'll have to decide on tuning. For infinity 10s I'd go somewhere between 30 and 45 hz depending on how boomy you want it.  Figure it this way the box will peak at around 10hz higher than the tuning frequency in the car so if you want sound q you'll get a nicer response curve tuning at 30hz but if you want it louder for boomy rap tracks tune between 40 and 50hz and hold on to your seat.

good luck

Jman1980 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 1:59 AM / IP Logged  
To not affect tuning you neet to keep objects in the box atleast the the width of the port away from the end of the port if that makes sense. Yes use as big of a port as you can without it making the port to long to get it tuned low enogh and make sure you add port displacement into the final equation.  Hope that helps.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
Do the reading and I was hoping that you were going to find the part I wrote about slot porting and apply in to your enclosure. There is some simple math involved and the forumula's are written there for you to see.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic