icon

Trunk Pop with a two wire actuator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mtxblau 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
I purchased an extra actuator, and figured I could use that to simply pop open the rear window hatch on my 2003 Toyota Matrix. I pulled apart the door and noted there were two bars connected to the locking mechanism - essentially if you turn the key all the way to the left, you unlock it, dead center is lock, and turn all the way to the right, pop the trunk.
There is a dedicated bar for locking and unlocking the trunk, and a separate bar that dedicated to popping the glass hatch. Upon pulling on the glass hatch bar, it opened pretty easily (well under ten pounds of effort), so I imagine an actuator can handle the load.
I have a CS-2016FM. It has an Aux Output, which according to the manual provides a 1/2 second negative output for a trunk release.
I took a look at these wiring instructions after searching the forum:
Wiring Instructions
Now, I imagine I connect the output to one leg of the actuator motor, but what about the other leg? Does that simply go to ground?
As I understand it, a two wire actuator opens and closes based on the input on each leg of the actuator. At the very least this makes sense to me (using the positive pulse diagram) but I could be wrong.
Thanks in advance!
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
simply copy that diagram you have but make sure you ground the right wire on the actuator depending on how u need it to work being pushing or pulling to activate the rod
Acuraxtasy 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Do you have power door lock/unlock control?  If you installed your own actuators in your doors, then you need to add one to control the lock/unlock mechchanism in your hatch (in case you lock it and try to pop the hatch it won't work). I would then use a door popper actuator ( 15lb would work) this then would only pull in one direction and do it real well.  It would then reset itself to work again.  If you use a door lock/ unlock actuator it may not pop back in place and have enough power to pop the hatch again.            

goofyinstaller 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
wat you need is a trunk solenoid...it has a cable....once it pulls to open it moves back in place
GoofNut
mtxblau 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
Technically speaking though, the wiring is the same, so in theory if the actuator doesn't work (at least to my liking) I could just switch it out (using the same wiring) for the solenoid, correct?
Acuraxtasy 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 6:52 AM / IP Logged  
Correct, the trunk solenoid/door popper is self grounding so there is only one wire for which 12volts will be applied, make sure a relay is used or if your alarm is capable of 12v output for trunk pop, then no no relay is required....... good luck
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
I have a friend that works for a spring manufacturing company. So I get an assortment of spring to work with. What I have done in the pass is that I just add a spring to locking mechanism to get just the right pull on tension to pull the actuator back. Just another idea if you plan to an actuator instead of a trunk opener.          
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Trunk Pop with a two wire actuator - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic