icon

Sony 2 ohm MTX amp !?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
El Sandman 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2002 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  

I got a MTX 2160 RoadThunder amp and I want to know if it can run 2 ohms bridget!!

The tag says:

80 watts per ch into 4 ohms

160 watts per ch into 2 ohms
           320 watts bridged into 4 ohms
425 watts bridged into 4 ohms @ 14.4 VDC  (Not on this Planet)

any way I want to run 2 15s bridged at 2 ohms If the Mtx Blows I don't care

But will it damage the subs?

Also, What do you think of the SONY Explode amp?

The one that runs @ 1 ohm. is it worth $250.00
And can It run 2 JL 15W3- D4?

El Sandman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2002 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know how i forgot this but also can the sony run the JL W7 @ 1 ohm?

Thanx

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2002 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  

Running that amp at 2 ohms bridged means that it will effectively "see" 1 ohm per channel. That is lower than the amp is rated. There's a chance that it will run that low. There's a very good chance that it will really bump for a short while before it melts. If it blows, there's a chance that it will hurt the subs, but not a big one. Generally, they just melt and stop putting power out. But, that chance is there. I would just run it 4 ohms per channel (one speaker per) and see if you can't get your handson another one. I assume it's a pretty cheap amp. Grab another one, and run both bridged into 4 ohms. Instant 640 watts! probably a really cheap and effective option. Otherwise, use it as you have it and save for another amp.

/NyxBass
El Sandman 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  

What I want to do is wire the subs to run @ 4 ohms ( 2 VCS )

Then bridge 'em to the amp so that each ch runs @ 2 ohms
So the end result would be
                       ??? watts RMS Bridged into 2 ohms @ ....etc.

the label says      80 watts RMS/CH into 4 ohms @ .05% THD 20-20,000Hz

160 watts RMS/CH into 2 ohms @ .1% THD 20-20.000Hz
                             320 watts RMS Bridged into 4 ohms @ .1% THD 20-20.000Hz

Can you please Translate that    "@  .1 .05  %  THD  Hz"  stuff into layman terms. Sony  2 ohm MTX amp !? -- posted image.

I am sure it has somthing to do with what my next amp is going to be Sony  2 ohm MTX amp !? -- posted image.

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  

If I understand what your saying, you'll wire 2 drivers with dual voice coils so they are each at 8 ohms, then parallel them to each other to gain a four ohm load. Then, you'll wire that to the bridged amp. Which means you'll have

"320 watts RMS Bridged into 4 ohms @ .1% THD 20-20.000Hz"

Or, the identical  "160 watts RMS/CH into 2 ohms @ .1% THD 20-20.000Hz"

Because bridging just adds the two channels together (although it can in theory gain more power).

Because you have a four ohm load total and the amp is bridged, that's what you'll get. Essentially 160 watts per speaker, however you wire it. It might be easiest to wire each sub at 2 ohms then individually to each channel. If the specs are accurate, it shouldn't matter. how you wire it, and individualy will take less wire I'd think.

The rest of the stuff after the @ is describing the signal. .1% thd stands for one-tenth total harmonic distortion. It is a measure of how distorted the signal is at that power. See, when they rate an amp, they don't just measure the total output. Lots of amps can put out tons more than their rated power, but you have to consider how distorted the signal is. Real amp techs use a scope and more. The tech watches for how distorted the signal is, turns the amp down until he sees a figure he likes, and then writes down how much power the amp is putting out then.

The 20-20kHz means it was rated with a full audio spectrum signal. Sometimes they also rate at 1 kHz, which yields a more powerful signal.

You must also consider @ what voltage it was rated. @ 14.4 volts, the amp can put out much more power than at 12v.

So you really must just use the figures as a guide, and let your ears be the best judge.

Hope that helps.

/NyxBass
pat28ca 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
what i suggest you do is run one speaker  with it's coil in parallel (2 ohm) and the other sub identical, then hook them up to the amp to left and right channel.  this way you get the full potential of the amp and not lose any sound quality. sur you can put it all into 1 ohm but with great losses in sound control. all you'll end up with is sloppy bass,  having both voice coil in series and then parrallel at the amp will just make that poor amp fight to power them at higher levels.
El Sandman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2002 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info. Those 2 last replys are more then helpful.

I feel like I know a littel somthing now.Sony  2 ohm MTX amp !? -- posted image.

1 ohm is not worth the loss of sound quality .

Thanks guys

El Sandman

mykdlee 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2002 at 8:15 AM / IP Logged  
Just a sidebar on the MTX amp (and the whole MTX line). The amps are rated conservatively, sometimes very much so. You must have gotten this amp used since you don't have the "Birth" certificate showing the actual output. I have a 2160 myself and it's actual output is 124w x 2 @ 4ohm at 12.5v, 186w x 2@ 2ohm at 12.5v.  Bridged power at 14.4v is almost 500w. These are some of the highest quality amps in the business, even if not the most powerful. They have lost some of their "bang for the buck" status in recent years, but are still a lineup to contend with. Dollar for dollar they greatly exceed anything Sony and other "Best Buy" brands have offer. But that's just my opinion as the current owner of 7 MTX Thunder amps of various configurations and outputs.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic