icon

water damage to door speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

My son's Silverado has a pair of Infinity Kappas in the front doors. He tells me the speakers have been fried for a couple of weeks. He took the speakers out today, and he reports there was some rain water in some of the speaker recesses (It rained pretty much all day today). He directly wired the speakers to an amp, and neither one of them works (no intelligible music at all, just minimal crackling). He then hooked up different speakers to the existing wires in the doors and they worked, so that rules out wiring or amp channels as the problem.

These speakers are only 3-4 months old. I doubt he blew them by playing them this soon. I assisted/supervised the install, and I'm pretty sure there was no problem there. I've got to go back into work tonight so I don't have time tonight to look up Infinity's warranty info. Offhand does anybody think rain water running down inside the doors could ruin a speaker? If so, does a speaker manufacturer's warranty typically cover this as "Wear and Tear"? There's nothing wrong with the doors damage-wise, the speakers are the correct size for the install, and they were installed in the existing speaker cut-outs in the doors.

Thanks for any info you can shed, or any opinions you may have on this.

ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
depends on where you got the speakers as far as warranty goes, but most factory warranties are atleast a year. yes, the water is probably the reason the speakers quit working, (unless they are marine grade) they are not made to get wet. find where the water is coming from and solve the problem before putting new speakers in.  
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have seen many chevy trucks with the water problem since the new body style in 2000? i think .  Do what you can to find the water seepage problem, , and on top of that, you should get your hands on some XTC foam speaker baffles to cover the back of the speakers.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

His Silverado is a 2003 model. I never thought about water getting onto the speakers in a door until yesterday. Come to think of it though, all car doors get water in them. I remember having to clean out the drain holes along the bottom edges of doors on a '65 Ford, a '74 Olds, and several  '71-74 imports when I was my son's age. (1974 was a magical year, BTW- that was the last year the gas tanks accomodated the nozzles for regular gas.) We had other cars that had the bottoms of the doors and tailgates rust out because we didn't realize they were rusting out from the inside. Being that I've never heard of this happening before, I guess most people either sell their vehicles with the speakers in them (or get them stolen) before the speakers crap out. Or maybe the fact that he washes his truck 50 times a week has something to do with it. hmmm....

Are those XTC baffles the enclosures that are supposed to improve the sound quality and/or volume of the speakers? I was thinking of wrapping the speakers in some kind of Baggie, but my son mentioned something about foam enclosures last night. Maybe he could get some of those foam insulators that are supposed to keep the hose bibs on the outside of the house from freezing. All the important answers to life can be found at Home Depot, you know.  ;>)

mrflip69 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
The foam baffles are really cheap at Crutchfield (only place I've seen them for sale sans eBAY). Make sure you port them though or they will sound like ass.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic