icon

series parrallel for 3 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knowhimwell 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Is there anyone who could tell me if I can wire series parallel on 3 subs. I have the subs and the amp already. The subs are SVC 4 ohm. I am aware if I wire them parallel, they are 1.3 ohms. I can not go that low with my amp. Do I have another option with 3 4 ohm subs? My main issue is that I have the amp, the subs, and the box already and want to use what I have. PLEASE HELP.
a life without christ is a life that is never fixed-kj52
Satkunas 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
Your only choice is to go parallel or all in series at 12 ohms with only 3 subs. If you had 4 or 6 (or 3 /w DVC) you could do a series parallel combination but with only 3 your choice is limited.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
1.3 ohms or 12 ohms are your only options.  Either take 1 sub out of the equation, or get a 1 ohm stable amp.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
Wire two subs in series for 8 ohms. Then wire the thire in parrell for a total load of 4 ohms. You could aslo wire two subs parallel for 2 ohms, the the third in series for 4 ohms.
Paul
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
This may cause phasing issues, so check with a 9 Volt battery before you drop everything into a box.
series parrallel for 3 subs -- posted image.
Paul
knowhimwell 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  
This is the way I was thinking of doing it. Is this 4 ohm? I will be running this bridged on the subwoofer channel of a blaupunkt amp, that is 2ohm stable. Am I good to go, other than it posssibly being out of phase?.
Paul
Satkunas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Francious70 wrote:
Wire two subs in series for 8 ohms. Then wire the thire in parrell for a total load of 4 ohms. You could aslo wire two subs parallel for 2 ohms, the the third in series for 4 ohms.
Paul
This is not recommended as it will be hard to hear when you've reached the excusion limit on the series sub and there is a good chance you will end up blowing it.
Satkunas 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
knowhimwell wrote:
This is the way I was thinking of doing it. Is this 4 ohm? I will be running this bridged on the subwoofer channel of a blaupunkt amp, that is 2ohm stable. Am I good to go, other than it posssibly being out of phase?.
Paul
The right-most speaker in this diagram is wired backwards. The positive terminal should be to the left, then all the speakers will be in phase.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry, Paul and Paul.  It's still 12 ohms but now you've got one woofer out of phase....you might as well run just one woofer as to do that.   Your best bet is to do what Alpine (aka Clarion) Guy said to do.

Here's the math for figuring series:  R total = R1 + R2 + R3 etc.

for figuring parallel:  1/R total + 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc.

In the diagram you have no woofers wired in parallel.  You have to have at least two SVC woofers to make either a series or parallel connection.  You are showing three subs in series, but one is reversed.  There is no magic that will help you.  Here is a handy wiring wizard.

knowhimwell 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2005 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I didnt even notice that. You are right. Other than that am I ok?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic