the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

One L7 with a kx1200.1 amp will it blow?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
I would stick with the sealed enclosure.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  

i've done a few systems and some setups on the display at the shop i work at that ran a dual two ohm L7 on a 1200.1.  from what i saw, that sub handles anything that amp has at one ohm. never seen one blow, unless it's been plugged into the wall for a while. 

as for the box, we almost always put those things in ported enclosures, and it's never been a problem with the 1200.1.

audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
From the posts i've read, I would strongly suggest running the amp at 4ohms. krf01 brings up a good point about power handling decreasing with a large ported enclosure. Thermal handling is stated FOR A REASON and it's never a great idea to cross the limits by a large amount of power for long periods of time (daily driving). If you run your subs hard and like to play it at loud volumes, you really shouldn't send that much to the L7 period. Let's not forget that L7's have a repuation for being an unreliable sub as well..
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2005 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
Not only are power handling guidelines posted for a reason, but you usually have next to nill in SPL to gain by pushing a subwoofer to its thermal or excursion max...
i.e. it isn't like Kicker is just being the "fun police" by listing reduced power handling numbers for large ported enclosures ;-)
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
glowstickninja 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: April 14, 2005 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  
Good news yall, since i thought about it and decisde i probably couldnt control my itchy volume finger, i decided to swap for the dual 4 ohm sub. this way i can wire it in parralell and then still have room for exansion into another sub and run the amp at 1 ohm. and i wont have to worry about blowing it so much.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic