icon

any ideas on illuminated panels?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
crudeau 
Copper - Posts: 150
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2005 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a 2005 F150.  It has a double din head unit.  Already bought a single din head unit for it.  I want to install a single din switch panel under it.  But I would really like to know what switch is which when it's dark out.  As of now I want to have a switch to turn on the CB, front spot lights, reverse lights, and some truck bed lights.  I'm sure there will be one or two more switches I will want.  But I am having a hard time figuring out how to illuminate some switch labels.  I am going to do some switches with led's in them to know when they are one. 

I am thinking I need to figure out how manufactures produce gauge face overlays.  That would probably help me in figuring it out.  As of now I am thinking about havesome thin sheet metal etched through, and doing some plexi work with LED's behind it.

Any idea's??

Calgarysouth 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2005 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  

look into buying some EL panelling....rockford uses it in their demo cars

shesaidshewas18 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Why not memorize what each switch controls, and get the switches that have LED's in them already?
bluesbreaker33 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
you could make a panel out of plexi, etch the labels onto the plexi above each switch hole, and then run EL wire around the edge; that would light up the labels.
89sunbird 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
Glow in the dark paint, with a very fine brush?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  
Have someone CNC you a plastic panel. Have them cut out the letters or symbols you want illuminated. Then fill the holes with liquid plexi and backlight it with LEDs. I've done it one time. It came out great.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ff-mike 
Copper - Posts: 199
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
I just passed that stage in my current project. What I did was used plexiglass as the base, and then I did an overlay for it on the computer- I created a graphic (similiar to the one below) in Paint and printed it onto a self-adhesive transparency. Trimmed and stuck that to the plexi, and covered with clear contact paper (to resist smearing) The buttom row is where the switches actually went, 1/2" illuminated squares.
any ideas on illuminated panels? -- posted image.
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 02, 2005 at 1:49 AM / IP Logged  
oh cool... a status box... now that could be REALLY useful... hmm. *thought process goes WEEEEE* hahaha.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic