icon

Resolving dimming lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gdog_mm 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

like a lot of people I have a problem with dimming lights (headlights and interior, dash).  I read the other post on dimming lights and it didnt seem to help , I have done all that.  I drive a 1990 VW Golf, it came with a 65A Alternator, and I had the 90A version rewound to pump out 110A; I was told that this is the highest value I can have on my car without custom brackets installed.  I have also installed a 650CCA battery in my car, and installed a 1Farad stiffening cap to try and resolve the problem.  for Amplifiers I am running a Rockford Fosgate 800.2 (1020W RMS) and a RF 200.2 (210W RMS) both amps are fused then fused again at the battery with a 60Amp fuse.  So thinking the car used to run with 65A, and I had a possibly 60A draw that the alternator almost doubling the output would help.  (yes I was running the system on the old alternator). But the lights dim very much.  The voltage reading on the cap at normal operation is 14.98Volts, then when the bass hits it drops down to 12.6V.  I am running 4Guage wire all through power and ground, and the cap is mounted less than 10" from the amp.  The grounding system uses the chasis but has 2 4Guage wires as ground at chassis and battery.  Alternator wires, and everything is 4 guage.  If I run a ground from the amps stright to the battery that shouldnt make a difference right cause I have adjusted to the cable size at the battery.

I am just wondering what I can do  to try to if not eliminate this problem, how can I help it get better?

I know of a few products such as the AccuVolt by Jacobs electronics which is basically a voltage regultor/conditioner which claims to keep a constant voltage all the way up to 16V I believe.  Before buying one I was wondering if anyone has used this product and do you think it would help my senario.  I can get one here in canada for $425 at a disco'd price... its not cheap, but if it works, I'll get it.

Another product of interst is the BATCAP by Xstatic which is a battery that has a discharging rate of a capacitor, and they claim is equivalnt to (100) 1 farad capacitors,  and it goes for like $170USD.  But can that really be 100Farads??? that seems worth it but will it help me?

I've heard that adding another battery such as an Optima Yellow top will only help if you wanna listen with your car off, is that tru or would it help me? (I only listen while driving)

product links:

http://www.jacobselectronics.com/products/caraudio/caraudio.htm
http://www.batcap.net/home.htm

I have another 800.2 amp that I plan on adding, so thats a 2000W rms output with a possibly 120A draw.  Im not going to do that until I can solve this problem though.

Your opinions/experience on those products are valued, and any help you give thanks in adavance.

Matt (Vancouver B.C. Canada)

pat28ca 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 9:22 AM / IP Logged  
hey , i'm in vancouver too. actually surrey, near guilford.this is what i recomend. chances are that maybe your battery has something to do with it. see the alternator is the one that drives the current while the car is running and not the battery. (you probably knew that) but all the current passes thru the battery first , before it goes through ther car. if your using a regular battery, or a crappy tire(canadian tire)type then that is what your problem might be. iknow that you installed a 650 cold cranking amp(cca)battery but what i would do to start is try another battery. i put a yellow top optima on my bros car and that all it took to solve the dimming problem. if you want you can give me a calland i can have a look at your car to give you my advise . i'll hook up a dmm and tell you what we can do to solve this problem.  i've been a mechanic for 10 years and i'm mecp certified.  i work in the service department at a shop fixing car audio. (didn't tell you all this to show off, i told you so you don't think i'm a young punk who doesn't know what he's talking about.)if you want you can try what i've told you. if you call me we can try out the yellow optima to se if it helps, 584 9369. you know the area code.patrick
Bob Zam 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: April 30, 2002 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
Just my 2 cents...With systems up to an around 1000 watts - 1 farad cap. Over 1000 watts and move up to 2 farad cap. Also a note on amps...If your amp is not class "D," it is not running efficiently. Meaning, it will suck power more drastically when the bass hits. That being said, I think a 2 farad cap would really help.
bigleman 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2002 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

Just keep adding a farad untill the problem goes away.

Each car has differant properties.

Each system has different properties.

A second battery will help nomater what

gdog_mm 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2002 at 3:49 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks Patrick I will give you a call sometime soon maybe not till next thursday cause I work graveyards... we'll see.  I appreciate your help though.  Hey I am from surrey too, newton area.

And everyone else, any experience with the two products I mentioned above??? (the Accuvolt or the BatCap)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic