icon

Cadillac Catera 97 question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mr-allenp 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  

It seems that it's not easy to install a complete alarm with remote start and all the other features available today with this car. I did the search and only two posts came up with one of the posts sounding not so promising. The car has it's own alarm anti-theft system and uses a key with a chip imbedded. I don't exactly know which question to ask first. But like i said, I'm thinking of installing an aftermarket alarm/remote start system (with paging) to the car and was actually thinking of doing it myself. I realize that some kind of a bypass module is needed for most modern car, but checking on some bypass modules available, there is nothing compatible for use on this car. Before i go on installing or even have someone install a new car alarm/remote start system to the car, I hope someone with experience in the past on this car to give me an advice if i should just forget about it or go on with it. Thanks.

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
DEI....555, or 556U
JiggaFan 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 23, 2005 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
gotta use a pill-box for bypass...i.e., driver looses a key.
also, i beleive all the connections are at the BCM in the passenger's kick panel...maybe that was a newer one i did, but i remember having to extend all the wires over to the passenger kick panel to do it.
NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 24, 2005 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
"I hope someone with experience in the past on this car to give me an advice if i should just forget about it or go on with it."
As an experienced installer, nothing hard about this car just another install. Pickup your ignition wires at the column/shroud, park lights to the left of the dash, brake at the switch, door trigger should be in the drivers kick. Door locks and OEM disarm coming in from the driver door. Then just use any key in the box bypass for the remote start.
1 starter wire, 1 accessory wire, 2 ignitions if I remember correctly.
Only issue I had with this vehicle is for some reason the park light wire was backfeeding into the module and not allowing it to remote start to function. Had to put a relay on the wire to isolate it. This would differ from module to module though so don't plan on doing this.
Also the OEM disarm wire unlocks the doors when you remote start the vehicle. Check to see if the unit your using has the ability to relock the doors after remote starting.
The underdash area isn't very installer friendly you drop the panel and find an enclosed area. You'll have to take the shroud off and carefully route your wires up there.
Well there's some more info I really don't know your ability or experience so it's up to you to decide if you think your up to it. Good luck,
Mike
mr-allenp 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 25, 2005 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  
So, any advice on which brand of alarm to use? I'm thinking of Autopage 855LCD. Thanks a lot guys.
mr-allenp 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Since my car came with a keyless remote, is there anything i need to consider strongly before i install an aftermarket remote/keyless entry/remote starter/alarm system? I mean, i believe that i have to bypass the oem alarm system, but is there any important point that i have to be aware of that is specific to my car before i proceed. So far, Autopage 855 seems to be the most reasonable system to adapt because it has almost everything that i will need and the price is reasonable. Considering this alarm unit, are there anything that i need to pay attention to? I am thinking all of you gurus might have some input before i start with the project. This is going to be my first install, i have the patience since i have been doing most of the repairs of my car. I just want to upgrade the security of the car hence my interest in installing an aftermarket one. Thanks for any input and i know that i can always post here in case problems arises.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic