icon

choosing between head units...

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
coleatskool 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

Im stuck choosing between the sony xplod CA900X, the pioneer DEH7400 and the alpine CDA-7893. Pricing isnt really a concern and all three seem to have very similar characteristics. Only the sony will play mp3's, but thats not a big concern. Could anyone with any of these give me some insight into how these sound. Any info is appreciated.

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2002 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine has never let me down yet. They sound great and are very durable.choosing between head units... - Last Post -- posted image.

I had a pioneer that did not keep me happy. Not saying that all there stuff is crappy or anything but I personally would steer towards Alpine.

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
JimF 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2002 at 4:29 AM / IP Logged  
I have Alpine electronics but would recommend the CDA7998R unit. More expensive but much better bass.
JimF
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2002 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
alpine all the way...they are the top of the consumer market in my book.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
go play with each unit and see for your self what feels more comfortable to you.
(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2002 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  

sony xplod products are absolute garbage. the store I work at sells them, and I wouldn't put them in my car if they were free.  BTW, the Pioneer DEH7400MP will play MP3s.  If you're running your interior speakers off of the deck, and MP3 capability doesn't matter, I would run the CDA7893 b/c of the 60x4 amps.  Keep in mind that to actually get the advertised power, you can't run the constant power and ground through the factory harness; the power you should be able to get at the ignition harness, and the ground can go the chassis.  This isn't too difficult to do, but I highly recommend it.

C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
mwhcai1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
Why not get the Alpine 7894.  It does not cost a whole lot more than the 7893.  It will play MP3s.  I originally bought a Sony because it was cheap - open box at Best Buy (but still new - never installed or used).  It was a piece of junk.  The D-bass feature adds a lot of distortion.  I got no bass when I didn't use this feature.  The faceplate had a cheap plastic feel to it.  I returned it and bought the Alpine 7894.  Hell of a head unit.  Far more features and the sound quality is great.  MP3 players are great.  You can burn hundreds of songs onto one CD.  This makes a CD changers obsolete.
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Go for the Alpine...  Your going to get a much stronger line level singnal for your amps (Pioneer is .5V standard (last time I checked, maybe not anymore), and I'm sure sony isn't much better, Avg. Alpine is 2-4V+)  As far as a Pioneer putting out 60x4.. Yeah right... hahaha..  Maybe at a breif peak, but in real life, you might expect to get 25-30Wrms out of it, if that...    On standard, most decks (whether they are rated at 40x4, 50x4, or 60x4) only put out a true 20-30Wrms, which is fine for a set of factory speakers, but if your using a nice set of components, your going to want to use an amplifier.  My recommendation to you is to judge a deck by it's quality rather that it's misleading power output rating.  As far as a deck having "better bass," I really wouldn't take that into consideration due to that fact that even if you wanted a 12 db boost at 40 er 50 hz you could do that with your amplifier.  In my opinion, pioneer and sony are crap (thats why they sell them at Wal-Mart).
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
Pioneer sells an entirely different line of products to wal-mart.  I've had their non-walmart stuff in my car for years, and never had a problem with any of it; nor have I seen anyone else come back having problems with their pioneer or alpine deck.  As far as the 60x4 peak power of alpine's 7893 and 7894, it will actually put out that much clean power if hooked up correctly (i.e. the heavy gauge constant power wire goes directly to the ignition harness or the battery, and the ground wire goes directly to a chassis ground).
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, maybe 60w peak, but keep in mind the definition of PEAK.  Peak power is the amount of power the amp on that deck is putting out at a brief moment.  Clean is our definition of continous or RMS (Root Mean Square).   Hook that bad boy to an oscilliscope with a 0db 1Khz test tone and you will see that it will only put out 25-30w of true clean continous power given you are considering the actual dynamic range of the deck.
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic