icon

tuning a port

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 5:07 AM / IP Logged  
Hey people...Ive been trying to use port calculators on the internet to tune a vented port. I cant figure out how so maybe someone on here can tell me how. Thanks for the help.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 6:43 AM / IP Logged  
Here...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
... and realize there is really no such thing as "tuning a port."  Many people think there is some adjustment that can be done to a port.  You simply calculate the proper size port for the enclosure size and to optimize the performance of the woofer, or to produce the specific frequency you target.  The port you put in will be "tuned" by its own characteristics and those of the enclosure and cannot be changed.  It will be what it is and the only way you could tune it differently is to change the size of the enclosure or of the port itself.
Support the12volt.com
redchevy99 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
what are u talkin about...i need to know how to tune the port. u know...so i know how long to make it. how are u gonna say "theres no such thing as tuning a port"? the length of your port determines the frequency of your box. i need to know the formula to give me the length needed to tune the port to the frequency i want. and haemphyst, if ur talkin about the port calculator on the main page thats not the right one. thats for a regular port. so tell me if  u know of a different one. do u even have a system dyon? because thats gotta be the dumbest thing i ever heard someone say. im not tryin to be a p***k about it but i figured that a mod would know what they were talkin about.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 1:57 PM / IP Logged  

I stand by my statement.  You don't "tune" ports.  You calculate the proper port geometry for the tuning you'd like your bass relfex system to produce.  And the calculator is correct.  If it's not what you wanted, I suggest you use Google.  Have fun.

Oh, here are the forumlas in case you want to figure it out for yourself: http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/HelmholtzResonator.html

Support the12volt.com
AudioZBahn 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ok. I tried the calculating the prot size. but I have two 4in ports that are 12.5in long and the box is approx. 3cubic ft. I was wondering how you figure out hte tuning of the box with two prots. I'm not trying to tune anything here I was just wondering what the box is tuned at? Thanks for all the help.
DYohn 
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

AudioZBahn wrote:
Ok. I tried the calculating the prot size. but I have two 4in ports that are 12.5in long and the box is approx. 3cubic ft. I was wondering how you figure out hte tuning of the box with two prots. I'm not trying to tune anything here I was just wondering what the box is tuned at? Thanks for all the help.

Those parameters result in about 38.2Hz.  HERE is another set of calculators that allow more flexibility than the one on this site.

Support the12volt.com
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

redchevy99 wrote:
do u even have a system dyon?

Ahahahahahahahaha that one statement out of the whole quote just made me laugh to no end tuning a port -- posted image.

Sorry redchevy99, Dyohn is correct in his statement. Maybe you should reread it in it's entirety and make sure you understand it. Then do a search on the web for exactly what you asked him. You'll get the same response from others 9/10 times from anyone who actually knows their stuff. Still clueless?

Sorry Dyohn, I know you don't need defending from anyone else, but I just couldn't resist tuning a port -- posted image.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
DYohn 
Posted: May 09, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Paradigm wrote:

redchevy99 wrote:
do u even have a system dyon?

Ahahahahahahahaha that one statement out of the whole quote just made me laugh to no end tuning a port -- posted image.

Sorry Dyohn, I know you don't need defending from anyone else, but I just couldn't resist tuning a port -- posted image.

Thanks, I appreciate it. 

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic