the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Carburetor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  

I am looking for a few ideas on what I can do to a 84 Caprice to make it start easier in the winter.  I have heard of having a solenoid pump the gas, but it sounds like it could get expensive.  I will be installing a FM-5000 from slickcar.com or commandocaralarms.com.  If this is my only option I am still open to the idea and am curious what style of solenoid and what type of controls are necessary for this installation.  If anyone has details on such a thing and where to buy the accessories, let me know.  I am also open to alternative ways to get this car to start when it's cold.

Thanks 

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 1:54 PM / IP Logged  

A soloneoid is about the only option.  You have to make sure it is installed properly or it could hold the throttle open.  Your remote starter will need some kind of pulse before start to activate the solonoid before cranking. 

Generally a remote starter is not recommended in carberated vehicles for this exact reason.  If it doesn't start without touching the throtte, its not going to work well.

jrilla 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 6:22 PM / IP Logged  

I noticed that Autocommand has a carburetor kit here:      http://www.designtech-intl.com/  under product accessories. It lloks like it uses a solenoid and a relay which is how I figure I will try and set mine up, but I could use some additional tips to make sure this goes smooth.  So far I am considering using the starter wire as my trigger for the relay that will power the solenoid, and I will also have a switch to shut this trigger off, and an additional trigger set up through the extra channel I have, which can be used as an optional trigger.

Does anyone know anything about how the Autocommand kit is set up? And Installed?  I am hoping to get some ideas from their kit.

Thanks

J Rilla

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
patmar 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2002 at 7:44 AM / IP Logged  
i have a expereince with remote starter in carburetor model.i'm install in my old car a pontiac 6000  1986  v6 2.8L. I,m use the solenoid used for trunk  .the remote starter use is astrostart rs 113 . the remote starter have feature for carburetor. the reomte starter work very fine and verify the tach signal for remove the choke operation .
jrilla 
Posted: November 22, 2002 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  

Pat do you have any more information on the installation.  It sounds like the Astrostart fully controlled the carburator, but do you know what it did to the solenoid, I mean when did it pull the throttle and when did it release it again.  I am tring to figure out what I need to do to make this work with my own triggers.  I am still thinking that using the starter wire should work. as long as I have my extra channel also set up as a trigger in case it needs gas before the starter kicks on. 

Thanks

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

I am still looking for some more ideas on how to make this homemade carburator module work.  So far I will try using a trunk release solenoid that I will get from commando, and I want to try having two triggers.  The primary trigger being the starter wire, and I will have a switch under the dash to turn this off, and then I want to also use the additional channel that my FM-5000 has incase I need gas before it cranks.  This will only be a mometary pulse though and I am not sure will be very useful.  Is there a way I could incorporate a timer into this relay so it pulls the throttle for a longer period of time? 

Any ideas on if this will work, or better ways to trigger the throttle solenoid.

Thanks

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Tfrggy 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2002 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  
Experiment. That is the only sure way. What is the  worst thing that is going to happen it will not start.
jrilla 
Posted: December 04, 2002 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

I thought I would see what people think of this:  I am very new to the world of capacitors, meaning I only know what they do and the slightest about how they do it.  In my search for more information on them I found a page that showed all the ways of discharging them by blowing them up.  Looks really dangerous.  I was thinking of using this diagram with a capacitor that would hold the relay open for about 3 seconds, or just enough time to pull the throttle and get gas flowing.  This way I could use the an ignition wire as the trigger.

Carburetor -- posted image.

J Rilla
Owner/Installer
jrilla 
Posted: December 05, 2002 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know more about capacotiors that could let me know what kind of capacitor i need and what voltage and rating etc.  Thanks
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic