icon

Amp Choice

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MNCavy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I am looking for a new amp. for my JL 12W6.  Right now I am looking at either the Alpine MRD-M300 or the JL Audio 150/1.  I am not sure which one will work best with my sub.  Any help would be great.  Thanks guys!
desc 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2002 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

I think you should stick with the jl audio 150/1 so the speaker will resist better with it's own technology

DESC ELECTRONICS
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2002 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  

JL says it all,

I would go with the JL line.

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
mwhcai1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

The Alpine puts out 300 watts RMS only at 2 ohms.  Your sub has dual 6 ohm voice coils.  The overall impdedance would be 3 ohms when wired in parallel.  I am not sure how much power you would get from the Alpine at 3 ohms, but I wouldn't think it would be the full 300.  It only puts out 150 RMS at 4 ohms.  JL recommends  300 watts RMS (I am assuming that you are not talking about the W6 v2).  Have you considered the JL 300/2? - it can be bridged to 300 watts RMS (3-8 ohms).

JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
Take it from a truly experienced installer... go after the JL.  It has a regulated power supply  (It will always put out its rated power even with steep voltage drops), and is stable between 1.5 and 4 ohms (also puts out same rated power at ANY of the nominal impedences)... perfect for a 3 ohm mono load (v1) or 2 ohm mono (v2).  JL also underates these amps (Scott from JL Audio told me that at our last JL audio training seminar)  It would be preferable to give that sub a little more power, though...  Personally I'd go with the 500/1 (If it is a V2) or the 300/2 for v1.   
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything
mwhcai1 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  

JellyNutz - glad you confirmed that the JL Audio amps are underated.  I read somewhere that lower ends brands get their specs from the best ones off the line.  That sucks, but you won't have to worry about that if you choose JL.

MNCavy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  

Hey thanks all for the info.  I know that JL would be the best however they are a little expensive for me right now, so I will keep them in mind, however what do you guys think about either of these choices?

AudioBahn A2401Q

280x1 @ 4 Ohms mono

or

AUDIOBAHN A2601Q

420 Watts RMS x 1 @ 4 Ohm mono

Thanks guys!

Mark

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Go with The  A2601Q. Audiobahn makes very strong amps.  Their one of my top pics when it comes to amps.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic