icon

How can I vent the spare tire well?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  

Asked this once before, but no one's answered, so I'll try making it a thread.

Installing a custom sub enclosure (single 10", about 1 cu ft) in the spare tire well of an '05 Subaru Outback.  With it go 3 mid-sized amps.  It's all covered by the stock false floorhatch. 

The question is this - how do I vent those amps?  2 of them are class-A, so they're gonna get hot.  I'm open to any ideas & not afraid to be creative, but I need to keep the functionality of that area intact (no big holes in the floor to be covered by luggage, for instance) and it needs to be very stealth. 

Thanks in advance!

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 24, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

If the amps must remain in the spare tire well, the only solution I can come up with would involve cutting out some sheetmetal in the spare tire well and installing vents to the outside (like the ones inside bumpers).  Then you could install fans.  Also you could place luggage above them all day long and not worry about it.

It would be easier to build a sturdy false floor under which you mount the amps and have room on the sides to vent into the cabin.  Connect some fans, and you'll be just fine. 

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Probably the same thing geepherder said, not sure, but the trick would be to use louvered vent covers.  Install 12V fans directly under them, one pushing and the other pulling.  These are installed into the top cover of the enclosure, and since they're louvered, the openings wouldn't be apparent.  You can make them out of 1/8" panelling as well as search for a source to buy them premade in plastic.  Relay the fans onto the turn on wire.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input.  Someone else mentioned the bad juju I'd get from venting outside:  moisture + quality electronics = Tylenol-IV type headaches.

My thinking now is to use "channels" between the carpeting & metal underneath, one on each side, and force air in one, out the other, and have them vent to the very edges of the trunk space where it'd be hard to obstruck them.

When this idea proves impossible, I'll be back to cry for more ideas.  Meanwhile, still open to suggestions here...

maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 3:06 AM / IP Logged  
subaru outback the spare is in the compartment with the passengers, without being split away? i'd use computer fans if i were you, out the top of the floor peice, covered with grill cloth to hide them. one for each amp, blowing UP and away to draw heat from. then the cold air thats naturally near the steel gets drawn up into the space. *Shrugs* saw a build like this where the guy put a computer, the power supply for it, 2 amps and a cap all int the spare tire compartment, with a fan for each component, and a few others to create circulation. it was a beautiful thing.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

People keep pointing me towards venting the hatch into the trunk, but I don't want to do that simply because those vents will be covered when I load up to roadtrip.  I think I've got it figured out using a couple squirrel cages & channels in the subfloor, it's pretty unique.  I have no idea if I can pull this off!  If I do, I'll put up some pics.

Frankly, this install will be the most challenging I've ever taken on - custom fiberglassing x2, wierd dash mods with springs(?!?), creative venting of class A's in small sealed spot, & all stealth - may take a month of spare time to pull off.  I guess I'll either be proud as hell or flat out ashamed of my failure, we'll see.

I've been replying to others' questions trying to give something back for my own, and behold I'm a Standard member now!  Hey, thanks to everyone for the input & time. 

maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2005 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
*grins* the channel that you hide doesn't need to be all that big... 2 x 2 inches i'm sure would be more than sufficent, or 1 x 4 whatever. make sure there's an in and a out. its always nice to have a custom that still useable.
~~Vinn
yeah. i got my standard recently too.
_Keith_ 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2005 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
Well if you can run tubes or pipes to the stock exhaust vents going out that would create a flow out wich would draw new air in from somewhere

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic