Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2002 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
Go for 2
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 24, 2002 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
The gauge of teh wire won't determine how fast or hard your battery/alternaotor is drained/taxed. That myth is spawned because, if you are running a system that has enough power draw to require 1/0 gauge wire, you probably are going to be working over the output iof a stock atlernator. I think with your system you would be alright running a correctly fused 2ga wire.
/NyxBass
jagershack 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
bigger the wire just means less resistance, between the two sizes i agree w/ nyxbass{SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Century Schoolbook'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Arial'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"} {/SPAN}
Please do not copy and paste from a rich text editor like Microsoft Word. Please copy and paste from a plain text editor like Notepad.
esmith69 
Gold - Posts: 1,511
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2003 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Completely agree with NyxBass--1/0 gauge is overkill for anything with stock alternators.  Get 2 gauge, it's cheaper and easier to route throughout a vehicle.

Durango9 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with you, but what if you are runnning an amp such as the MTX81000D With a minimum input of 1/0. For the power and the ground. Then what, a bigger alternator?
esmith69 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2003 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  

Does the amp specifically say "do not use any gauge power cable smaller than 1/0"?  Or does it just happen to have terminals that will accept up to 1/0 gauge?

Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2003 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
I cant recall the last time I used anything but 1/0...
big is cool...just ask your girlfriends ;)
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2003 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
The amp actually says don’t use any thing less than 1/0 gauge And if your going to spend the time and money your better off just running a 1/0 instead of a 2 gauge to begin with. On all of my installs I always go a gauge above to leave room for future upgrades.
esmith69 
Posted: March 12, 2003 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Okie dokie then go by what the manual says.  I guess it is a good idea to plan for the future.  I forgot that the amp is just for bass, and therefore you might want a 4-channel amp for the speakers at some point.

hahahaha good point big purds, though there is also such a thing as being TOO big....1/0 guage or 2 guage -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic