icon

Dual battery setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chuckstasy 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

I see where you're coming from in thinking that the current will be split in half, but it doesnt really work that way. Seeing that you'll be mainly using your audio system while the car is running, you havent taken the alternator's power supply into account. Generally the alternator will supply almost all the power to the amps, seeing that it usually gives 13.8v or so. This means that most of the current will still be going down that 4awg wire anyway. If you really dont want there to be too much stress on that wire, you could install a stiffening capacitor. This will pretty much have the same(if not better) effect on the audio system in that it will supply the extra current when the amps need it (pretty much when you hit a large bass note or so). Its also safer for the boot, and they usually have built in volt meters, so u can monitor any voltage drops in the system.

Mind you, the Pioneer company cars here in Australia run 4 500w RMS mono blocks and 2 4ch amps on 4awg. Personally, i think thats pushing it, but unless your running some pretty serious gear like that, i think you can get away with that power cable.

BTW,

chuckstasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, shouldnt the wiring already be quite easy to set up coming from your boot, seeing that u already have a distribution block?
chuckstasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 8:47 AM / IP Logged  

Here u go redrazor...this site explains it pretty well...

http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

redrazor 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

So I would have to run a second line from the alt which also went to the second battery to achive what I want to do?

chuckstasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
You can run that same line thats already connected from your first battery to your distribution block. It doesn't matter whether you run it from the alternator or the battery, because they're all connected. Whether you need to run a second line or not depends on how much current you need to draw.
redrazor 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
well ok I'm still confused and don't understand why this wiring ( Alt to front and rear battery side posts, Then wire from front and rear battery top posts to distribution block wouldn't splt the amperage... ) even without using the side posts I thought with both batterys going to the amp this would be like a series/paralell connection. With the batteries being connected in paralell and the amp the series but I'm fouling something up here so I'll go reread bcae1, and some other things on current flow and how alternators work again and again and again untill I've got it down. Thanks for all of your input so far.
redrazor 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Another question then (while I'm reading) If I just have one battery and run two 4g wires from the battery to a distribution block then wouldn't each one carry half the current on them? comments on my previous post would be helpful too. Well back to reading.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  

It would make sense that if you had the room to install two or three 4-gauge wires through the firewall that you would also have the room to install one 2 or 1/0 gauge wire.  If you're only purpose in using two batteries is to split amperage then you're on the wrong path.  I didn't read everything that was written here in this thread, but you must know that amperage starts at the alternator and goes through the chain, to the first battery and then to the second.  Two batteries in parallel is the same voltage as one but twice the amperage capacity.  Having that extra capacity should be the only reason to use the second battery.  It sounds like that is not your intended purpose.

So I would say, find a way to install the bigger wire.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
redrazor 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 11:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your response stevdart. As for more than a 4g no not at anywhere accessible with out removing some things because I have only enough room at two different spots to run a 4g wire thru each. I could run it underneath the car and encase it in some piping. Since I've talked to my father about this that's all he wants to do now. Lol I really DON'T want to do that. I guess I'll if I want a 2g wire I’ll just have to make way and move things so I can get to a good drilling area in the firewall. I thought adding a second battery as show at the bottom of this page...
http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm
would give me the desired effect of having half of the current flow going thru each line to the distribution block but I guess I'm wrong here... some other people have even said they don't see how the battery would be charged with this setup... I guess I still do not fully understand how the electricity flows and works so I'm just going to read up on everything I can until I understand it... If I can use 2 4g to hold half of the total current being used by the distribution block then I will go with that... if not I will just go with 1 4g wire and change my setup accordingly so that it will not pull more than that wire could handle.
chuckstasy 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 12:50 AM / IP Logged  

redrazor wrote:
well ok I'm still confused and don't understand why this wiring ( Alt to front and rear battery side posts, Then wire from front and rear battery top posts to distribution block wouldn't splt the amperage... )

Let me correct something in what i said - it does split the amperage in half, but only when the car is off. Both batteries will be providing the usual 12v or so. When the car is running, thought, thats a different story. The alternator will be providing about 13.8v, and will hence be providing all the power to the amplifiers while charging the (both)batteries at the same time. The only time power will be drawn from any of the batteries is when the power draw from the amplifier is exceeding what can be supplied by the alternator. This will cause a voltage drop in the system and current will be drawn equally from both batteries.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic