icon

amp/sub wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
moptop 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

ummm......not sure what happend above so I retyped it.

I got most of the info on my amp/sub. I  got a 10' Audiobahn Flame Q and a Power RF 851X amp, both are 2003 models(also got a power cap. but not sure what brand).  I was wondering what would be the best way to wir the two together to get the most power? I went to Audiobahn website and saw Dual wiring diagram but couldnt figure out the ohms used. Also, I was wondering if I made a ported box, does it matter were the port is or what material it is? That and would I be better off just staying with a sealed box or ported (going for a 1.4 cu in), because of the limited space in the trunk. This is going into a 76' Pontaic Trans Am.

Audiobahn AW1006T Flame Q 900RMS and 1800 Max, Dual lug terminals

Rockford Fosgate Power 851X, 4 Channel

4ohm load per channel   100watts x 4

2ohm load per channel   215watts x 4

4ohm bridged (mono)   425watts x 2   

Caution: These amps are not recommended for impedance loads  below 2ohms stereo and 4ohm bridged (mono)

Any help would be nice

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  

You bought the wrong amp/sug combination, sorry to tell you.  It's a dual 4 ohm sub which means that the two voice coils are wired like this:

amp/sub wiring -- posted image.

As you can see with the two-channel specs, 4 ohms is minimum to bridge.  With this sub, you can't wire parallel/parallel to 2 ohms so you have to wire as above in series/parallel for a total 8 ohm load.  The amp will make about 1 X 425 watts on a good day to that sub.  Trade out the amp to a mono type...or trade out the sub to either a single coil 4 ohm model or a DVC 2 ohm.

Here is a link to a wiring wizard to make life a little easier for you:  http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

If you keep this gear, work on making a ported box to wring the most efficiency out of the power at hand.  The port tube can be made with PVC pipe, or you can design a slotted port.  If you trade like I described here, you'll have plenty of power for SPL with either sealed or vented enclosure.

Come to think about it, Audiobahn has a tendency to overrate by just a little bit....so this setup might just be about right, anyway.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic