icon

Can I re-use some of this wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Sad, little man 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
My car came with a factory alarm/keyless entry system. It got fried by the previous owner, and I'd like to replace it. I found a listing of the pinout on the connector that goes into the alarm brain, and I was wondering if anyone could make some sense of it and tell me if any of the wiring will be useful to splice into a new alarm. I imagine some of those power lock connections will be of some use for one, but I'm not sure what else or what some of the listings mean.
Can I re-use some of this wiring? -- posted image.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
Before you go about replacing it, try first checking if you have power and ground to the unit, and that the remotes have good batteries in them. If the remotes are good and the wiring is also, call the dealer and see how much it would cost for a replacement brain - odds are it won't be that much and it'll certainly be easier than having to hook up a new alarm.
If none of the above is an option, none of the connections look too unusual, and you could just splice wires right at the brain. What kind of car is this in?
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
No, I'm really set on a new system for these reasons...
1) Don't even have the remotes, the alarm crapped out on the previous owner, and I don't even have the remotes to go with it.
2) The car is a '96, so therefore the alarm uses technology from back then, and doesn't have the paging feature I'd want.
3) The factory alarm is known to fry itself just by jump starting the car. Mine has all the symptoms of a dead alarm. Getting a new one from the dealer would be as much as getting a very nice aftermarket system that doesn't have 9 year old technology. And that doesn't even count new remotes. I'm not even sure a dealer still sells it. It only came on a limited edition of 3000 cars made in one year.
But, thanks for looking at the pinout. I should have most of the wiring for a new alarm right there. My only question is where exactly would stuff like the starter kill wire go, a relay? That Ignition wire also boggles me. I don't think it's a remote start system. Also valet. Really what I'm looking for is just guesses as to what all the wires do.
Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
Oh, and it's a '96 Mazda Miata. No edit post feature in here?
maglin 
Copper - Posts: 206
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
*shrugs* personally. i would test each line, make sure it itself is still intact, if the remote was fried...
then...
get your alarm/remote. find out what features it has. if it responds to someone pulling on the door handles, hook that signal wire up to 2.
5 goes to your acessory wire on your ignition. most remote starters use this wire.
6, headlights, most remotes / alarms flash these. could easily be incorporated.
#7 if i had to guess is that feature on cars that says 'bump me and i go a-oooga in your face' i figure shock sensitivity is a pretty standard feature in alarms.
so forth and so on.
~~Vinn
Sad, little man 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I realized I should just start tracing the wires and use that chart as a guide. I'll move the new alarm brain out from under the dash though hopefully.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic