icon

Kicker opinions, what now?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jimmyrose 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 6:30 AM / IP Logged  

Ok well i was hell bent on getting a L7 kicker 12" and i did a search to check out what you guys think and apparently.... they suck ass....

so in this thread, can you either back up the L7's or recommend something decent in a similar price range. i reckon im after a nice compromise between SPL and SQ.

Ill be driving it with a lanzar vibe2000d which makes around 650W RMS @ 2 ohm from memory

oh and id prefer something that isnt massively deep as I am trying to fit in under the targa roof in the hatch, so around 23cm (9.05 in) deep but this isnt neccessary.

Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 6:50 AM / IP Logged  
I own 2 kicker L7s and couldn't be happier. I pound on thoes things daily and no problems yet. If you going to only be giving 650 rms i would reccomend one of them seeing how they are 750 rms. Thats just my 2 cents though.
Jim
Best Buy MECP Mobile supervisor in store 820
jimmyb3rddegree@hotmail.com
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 11:08 AM / IP Logged  
The L7s are good subs if you want SPL and not SQ, but if you want a mix they arent the best choice (especially in a a hatch). I would look into a Ascendant Audio Atlas or a Alpine Type R.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
i would go with a 12"  soundstream van gogh its a very well rounded sub
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

im not sure whether i should look for some SQ in a sub or not cause ive heard the mk3 supra really sucks ass for noise distribution.

anyone happen to know the total depth of the S12L7? noone in my town stocks them and kicker havent replied yet

SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2005 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

I worked for a shop that sold Kicker and I had heard a few before then and I was preety impressed by them.  They are definitly designed more for SPL.  Honestly I would go by your own ear as to whether you think they sound like what you want.  Good Luck!

jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged  

the first time i heard an L7 i was impressed, had to laugh at all the price tickets moving around for a huge radius around the sub.

i think i will be getting the kicker after all, i went around today in my crappy ass town and not 1 shop sells kicker, and the best alternative i was given was a 12" Lanzar heritage sub...

soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
maybe every sub i've heard made by other companies besides kicker hads been blown or somthing, because every installi do with the L5 and L7 subs sounds great, and i do alot because i work at a kicker dealer. they are great subs, will easily outpreform anything comparable sony, pioneer, infinity, jvc, audiobahn, rockford fosgate, jello audio, or mtx will ever make, among other brands. i give this one four out of five stars. tust me, it's the truth.
jimmyrose 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
hey soundmasta, how many have you done with kickers "compact" ported enclosure specs. im trying to make the street bass format fit under my targa but its being a bit of a p***k to design. how much difference is there between the compact and street bass enclosures? is it worth trying to fit the extra .75 cu ft?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  

Good bass is not about the sub.....it is all about the box. Build the wrong box and get the wrong results. I can take a bottom of the line el-cheapo Kraft red light special sub and deliver darn amazing results with a little carefully planned out box work. I can also take a sub like an Eclipse Aluminum and make it sound like bat barf by putting it into the wrong box.

My personal opinion, they get loud with the right box....however, I like to listen to my music (sometimes loud) and any other sub is a better choice for my application.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic