icon

12 volts not doing the trick?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  
No worries Rob, but part of your statement is just plain wrong. The definition of 1 db is the "smallest amount of volume gain that the human ear can detect". I know it's a small detail but thought the record should be set straight.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

Always assume that you will have a 12 volt supply. This is due to the demands that the vehicle places on the electrical system when it is in use.... a rainy night in the summer means, headlights, ac, wipers, parklights.... and your stereo. You will always get the bare minimums that these amps claim and even more as they do not just magically stop making power at 12 volts, upon testing, most amps exceed their 12 volt rating by a good amount (for a reliable amp like an Alpine). If your vehicle is delivering more voltage than 12 volts, that is great, you will gain even more power. In this case it is not about the amplifier, it is about the charging system and the demand it is placed on it that will determine the real output of your amplifer. Make sure that you have a good ground, read my grounding sticky as this will aid the situation and help you get the most you can from your investment.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

Most people are pressed very very hard (especially males and the older we get as well) to hear a difference of 1 db. In a controlled environment like a hearing test, sure I will agree, but in a vehicle with background noise and non-linear output levels, 1 db for most people is not noticeable. For those with bionic hearing (definitely not me), I concede that there are those people that can hear this difference. So I guess we are both right.

FYI, I just had my hearing tested and it shows a 18db loss in my right ear and 19db in my left ear. Not from car audio either but from ear infections when I was young. I still suffer ear infections to this day...sometimes it's worth it thoug...I can't hear the other half bitchin' me out for some crises she is having. 12 volts not doing the trick? - Page 2 -- posted image.

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
LOL Rob, I just moved the girlfriend in. I'll think I'll go listen to some REALLY loud music! Most respect for your opinions on this sight.
forbidden 
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Just don't let her move the kitchen table in....that is the day that is the end of life as you know it.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
On the bright side I would make a lot more money because I would be spending SOOO much more time at the shop.
nowlater123 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
BTW, how would you get 14.4 volts to your amp? By attaching the power wire to the alternator power wire? Or would this be too hazardous to your car's electrical system?
Kenwood all the Way!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2005 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
I wouldn't hook an amp directly to the alt. That power is too "dirty". It needs to be filtered somehow (battery). If your engine is running and your amp is wired to the battery, you should be getting b/t 13 & 14.4 volts. If not you may want to have your alt. and/or battery checked out.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic