icon

Small Starter Battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Crispix396 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 9:24 AM / IP Logged  

I have a really long car, and when I first relocated my batteries to the back it seemed like it took just a second longer to start the car.  When I asked someone about this they said it is because the drain of the wire going from the back of the car to the front.  Now in my new car (same car as earlier but a 'new to me' one) I am still relocating the batteries to the back and have a little bit of room in the front for a small battery.

So, i am tryign to find the smallest battery I can put up there to start the car with and still have 2 batteries in the back of the car for back up.  I currently have a Rockford Fosgate Battery, and a Yellow top Optima battery.   I hated running just 2 yellow top optimas due to the hour it would take to recharge one if it ever died.

So, my main question is: what s the smallest battery made that I can put in the front of the car to use to start the engine with.

95 caprice wagon - 383 stroker - corvette starter - powermaster 200 amp alternator.

nothing amazing yet, but its coming
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Why don't you just put an OEM capacity battery in there? You will spend more time and energy LOOKING for a battery over just putting an OEM one back in place...
Id there a particular reason you don't want to put an OEM battery in place? Weight? (couple more pounds - 5 to 8 at most) Expense? (probably LESS expensive than a "specialty" battery) What?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Crispix396 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
its the size.. thats why I need a SMALL battery.  I now have to put 2 compressors there and an air horn on the other side.  I would like to sqqueeze a battery in up there, but it is going to have to be a small one.
Crispix396 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, i dont care about the weight. or the expense.  i just need it to fit up there with everything else that is up there.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Cool... a group 42(?) is about as small as I can think of for that purpose. Check your local battery dealer, and ask for a stock Honda Civic-sized battery. These things are TINY, and I believe Optima now has a version for this group size.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Crispix396 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
do you know a size spec on the group 42? i mainlyneed like a cap type of thing up there.. Im going to be supplying enough power to the starter to turn but would like to stiffen it up a bit.
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
oh boy, the anti-cap people will have a hay-day with this one....
-Drew
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 1:15 PM / IP Logged  

Crispix396 wrote:
do you know a size spec on the group 42? i mainlyneed like a cap type of thing up there.. Im going to be supplying enough power to the starter to turn but would like to stiffen it up a bit.

Size the power wires up to the engine compartment and you don't have to worry about a battery under the hood.. this isn't a new problem for street rodders. Those people will start supercharged big blocks with batteries in the trunk. Your motor should only draw around 300-400 amps to crank. You shouldn't see very much voltage drop with the correct sized power wires.

Jim

Crispix396 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
i was running 0 guage to the front. maybe i should run (1) 0 guage wire to the front just for the starter, and one for the other stuff.
any one have a suggestion on this issue? whats the best way to wire the engine with 2 batteries in the back and a powermaster 200amp alt in the front? wire to the starter, one wire from the alt to the batteries etc? thanks in advance

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic