A little disappointed with JL ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

tcss:

Thanks, I'll give that stuff a try. And don't worry about sounding, i want sumone to smack me around and set me straight with this.  Also, I agree these should be GREAT woofers. I am by no means a Rockford fan and I don't really want to comapre the 2, but me being out of the car audio loop since I went to school and got a job, those are the only subs i've heard in a while and my only basis for comparison.  Hmm...speaking of job, maybe I should do some work instead of checking this forum every 5 minutes?? nah  :-p

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
mine is actually in a sealed box with very little airspace as it sits behind my seat in a standard cab pickup.i have great results with mine. a friend of mine has a set of Alpines, either type S or R, and mine smoked his. definately check the polarity, and make sure you have your setup at the right load, because if the load is too high you wont get very good bass response.. per se if it is a 4 ohm amp and the speakers are set up for 8 ohm, then you lose half the response. I'm judging by the fact that you said you havent taken them out of the box that you havent looked at the wiring configuration. if the installer wasnt thinking straight he may have not wired the setup in the interest of the amplifier.
Also i took a couple of minutes to check out the specs on your amp, and i think you also may be underpowering the W3v2s a little bit. at 2 channels 2 ohm the RMS is rated at 250W x 2, and 4 ohm is rated at 125W x 2. I pump 350W @ 2 ohms RMS into my single 10W3v2, and it sounds mint.
so the basic rundown is check the impedance, try changing direction (mentioned above by tcss), and try powering a single sub in a mono configuration and see how that goes.
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, I am def. going to rip 'em out when I get home and check out the polarity.  I dont think its it but I REALLY hope it is.  My amp is an older 500a2, so i don't think under power is a problem.  Back before Rockford sold out to best buy and used to be a decent product, they gave specs on each idividual amp, i dont think they still do.  Anyway, mine acctually puts out 768 watts bridged @ 2 ohms.  Im supposedly running it bridged at 4 ohms which should be around 600 watts somewhere, which should be the w3 sweet spot (and one of the reasons I chose these).  I think its probably a little easier to get voice shakin bass in a smaller truck cab, but i also have two of them so i would hope that would make up for it.  I'll let you know how it turns out!
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
you may also have problems with your wiring kit, if it not thick enough to send the power to the amp. it is wise to buy a kit that will give your amp what it needs if you know what i mean.
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  

OK, I just got back from my dealer and I took a loaner out for the night.  He gave my a 12" Treo.  I forget the series name but it was one of the better ones, and it absoultly POUNDS.  its just 1 12" and my ears are still ringing.  Its abuot $100 more than my 2 JL 10's so i dont know.

The amp does have enough power though.  I ran 4 gauge back off of a breaker instead of a fuse and splits to 8 just before the amp.  But i tried about 8 different cominations of subs today and found the even 2 12's were distorting if they didnt have a really high power rating.  But I'm gonna go back tomorrow and try out a 12w3 in these really nice custom boxes they make and see how it does.  Thanks for the advise, I'll post the out come tomorrow if anyone's curious or gives a damn.

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 14, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Which 12" W3V2 box are you going to try? The single 12" HO box is my favorite.
JAydawg21 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

I ended up going with a 12w3v2 in a box made by some guy in Allentown, PA.  Its called a Bomb Box.  Its basically a slot ported type box but he curves the port around almost behind the sub so the sound waves dont lose as much energy bouncing off walls as it enters the port. I guess its similar to the HO box but a little less complex.  It sounds much better than the 2 10w3v2's in a sealed box in my opinion.  I've always had a ported box thinking i was a sealed box kind of guy and it looks like i was wrong.  I was really close to going with a TREO 12" SSi ( http://www.treoonline.com/ssi.html) which sounded amazing but it was $100 and the w3 sounded good enough to save the cash. But anyone looking for a good all around sub with high SPL capability should look into these TREO's.  They make a quality product.

'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
RF 1F capacitor
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic