icon

What was your first car stereo system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
paul m 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

I first started installing in 1977 . Most of the stuff we installed was either Craig or Audiovox or other stuff i cant remember now. At that time things where changing from 8 track to cassett. We did a lot of hole cutting for the speakers and a full system was concidered as 4 speakers ; the head unit and an amplified 7 band eq. rated at about 80 watts max. Amplifiers where a seriously custom addition and there output was usually around 50 watts.

We spent a lot of the day being upside down , under the dash boards and rear decks of the cars. We also had to run wire from the front to rear as factory wiring was not there at that time . The skill of a good installer was measured by how well he could hide the wire safely and fit the new head into the dash .

Do any of you ole timers remember the fun we had with the old r/t switches ? These where radio / tape isolation switches that had 40 connections on them ! What a bitch they could be after a night out on the town !!

paul m

fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  
im only 27 right now but i do remember those switches and they(realistic) had one with a balance knob on it. the reason i think i remember it was because of all those wires wires wires wires. if i remember correctly i was 8 years old. no bull s*#!. this fasanation with eletric i think started when i was 3 years old and stuck a car key in the wall socket and juiced myself as my mother tells me. and i haven't stopped disecting of things since. a truely love this passion of eletronics and i dought it will ever die.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
paul m 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
fingaz22 wrote:
im only 27 right now but i do remember those switches and they(realistic) had one with a balance knob on it. the reason i think i remember it was because of all those wires wires wires wires. if i remember correctly i was 8 years old. no bull s*#!. this fasanation with eletric i think started when i was 3 years old and stuck a car key in the wall socket and juiced myself as my mother tells me. and i haven't stopped disecting of things since. a truely love this passion of eletronics and i dought it will ever die.
paul m 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  

Hey Man : Are you for real ??

You started at age 8 ? and you make like you know what im talking about from the 70s ???

Come back bud !

emergeman 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
My first real system was in 1979-80 in a 1973 Camaro, Pioneer KP-4000 indash cassette, Craig Power Play V505 EQ , custom built dual amp balancer feeding 2 Craig Power Play Amps. Front speakers were Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater TK-1 tweeters and SK-1 mids. Rear speakers were Pioneer TS- 695 3 way 6x9's and a Altek Lansing SW-1 2 ohm Powered Subwoofer with indash level control. Pretty cutting edge for 25 years ago.
Been there, done that, just can't remember it.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
paul m wrote:
I first started installing in 1977 . Most of the stuff we installed was either Craig or Audiovox or other stuff i cant remember now. At that time things where changing from 8 track to cassett. We did a lot of hole cutting for the speakers and a full system was concidered as 4 speakers ; the head unit and an amplified 7 band eq. rated at about 80 watts max. Amplifiers where a seriously custom addition and there output was usually around 50 watts.

We spent a lot of the day being upside down , under the dash boards and rear decks of the cars. We also had to run wire from the front to rear as factory wiring was not there at that time . The skill of a good installer was measured by how well he could hide the wire safely and fit the new head into the dash .

Do any of you ole timers remember the fun we had with the old r/t switches ? These where radio / tape isolation switches that had 40 connections on them ! What a bitch they could be after a night out on the town !!

paul m

Boy do I remember those switches and then throw in the variable of the common grounded speaker systems (one wire off of the speaker and the negative was through the frame of it). I also remember the old CB mic systems that tied into the factory speakers to where when the CB was receiving it switched the speakers over to it and then after it went quiet the factory speakers reconnected to the radio. 

I did dealership work when I started and the cars that had the radio accomidation packages would have the power, dash light, and ground wires already run but they were buried behind the dash and you had to know just where they were tucked at or where they were taped to the loom to get them accessible. Remember the old AMC's that you would punch the door panel to pop the cardboard plug loose and then trim out the vinyl and install the Ford rectangular grills ?.

Remember the different sized shafted radio chassis'. They made smaller than normal shafted radio's to fit the Toyota's that had a real small nose opening and tight center to center shaft spacing.

Back then there were no harness adaptors like there are today and you had to make all kinds of connections and like you said, had to run the wires.

Jim

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
fingaz22 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt mean to come off like i did it everyday and knew exactly where you where coming from but i was saying i do remember switches like that. and yea i was like 8 years old and i loved it then and love it even more today. theres no way i can relate totaly with guy like you that have been in the feild before i was born, i got alot of respect for you guys because if there was never anyone to install it .i may never have heard my first car stereo in a 71 nova. that sparked that passion. thankx and sorry for any offence i may have caused.
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
fingaz22 
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
and ya didnt have to smash me that bad. did ya?
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
paul m 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry Bud ; I didnt mean to smash you , I guess my sentence structure is pretty lame. After rereading it i can see why you misunderstood my meaning.

I havent seen one of those switches for about 25 years now and i was very surprised that you where familier with them as there hasent been an application for them for at least that long.

Where in the world did you find one ? ( the 71 Nova ) ? They where a real pain and where used quite a lot in the ole days. The last time i saw one was at a Radio Shack store . I doubt if they stock them now.  How do you like your Clarion stuff , when i owned my own shop Clarion was a big part of my sales and come backs where few and far between. Are you an installer now ? Its a good trade as cars are being loaded with more and more factory electronics etc. there will be a gap opening soon for aftermarket guys to repair the factory stuff as the car warrantys end. The money isnt all that good yet especially here in Canada but i hope that changes eventually.

Again ; sorry for the mixup .

fingaz22 
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  

hey man no problem i understand. this site is very resourceful for almost anything we will every come incontact with. its opinion base so you have conflect every now and then but i look at it as no harm done with what ever situation comes along. i am just trying to help another fellow installer or noobie or diyer. because i was give the info when i asked the guys that came before me so i just pass it on. check out this post that  a guy posted https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=64711&get=last for the most part i think he was miss understood but atleast we got to make clear what this site is about. anyways iwill keep you in mind and please do the same i own a automotive repair shop here in rhode island and if there is anything i can help with it would be a pleasure. thankx for the appology 

yes i did buy that switch at a radio shack and installed it in my moms 67 nova.

clarion is great to my ear i use to stand by alpine when they had there 6 crystal pull out tape deck but i dont like them any longer. clarion is the way to go for me. yes i do everything from tires up on a car mostly complete installs and full automtive tech. its truly my passion. thankx angain.

JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic