icon

Audiocontrol HPX vs. magnets

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

Considering using small magnets to secure a cubby door to the front of an Audiocontrol HPX in-dash 1/2 din processor (the cubby door is hinged to move up/down - this will secure it in the down position).  The idea of magnets vs. electronics kind of freaks me out tho.  Does anyone know if this is definitely a good or bad idea?  I know in theory it's not a great plan, looking for some actual specifics.

magnets are 1/2" cubes, neodynum, 2 of them, one at each corner of the cubby door that would contact the front corners of the HPX face.

Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
it should be alright. if you ever put a computer hdd in that cubby though, look out, cause your data may end up gone...
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Probabally not good. Try using a knob of some sort.
Paul
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:

Considering using small magnets to secure a cubby door to the front of an Audiocontrol HPX in-dash 1/2 din processor (the cubby door is hinged to move up/down - this will secure it in the down position). The idea of magnets vs. electronics kind of freaks me out tho. Does anyone know if this is definitely a good or bad idea? I know in theory it's not a great plan, looking for some actual specifics.

magnets are 1/2" cubes, neodynum, 2 of them, one at each corner of the cubby door that would contact the front corners of the HPX face.

Francious70 wrote:
Probabally not good. Try using a knob of some sort.
Paul
If it's not a hard drive based device, there will be no problem. Your car runs on DC, and DC creates fixed, semi-static magnetic fields all day long, JUST like your neo magnets. I even place magnets next to my computer with no adverse effects whatsoever. (I do avoid the hard drive area, tho.) I use magnetized screwdrivers around electronics (including computers) on an everyday basis. I see no problem with it at all. I do not, however see a need for neo magnets. Overkill, much? Can't you just find some ceramic magnets, or maybe some smaller neo? Half inch cubes are a bit much... You're gonna HATE that kind of pull, eventually. Audiocontrol HPX vs. magnets - Last Post -- posted image. Let me know if you want a different magnet... I'll GIVE you a neo bar magnet, 1/8th inch square, 2.25 inches long... I have about 200 of 'em...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, whoops, meant to say 1/8 inch square. I don't think I could open it if they were 1/2"!

Using the Neo magnets b/c they're very small & strong, plus I had a bunch on the fridge.  They'll hold the door in the up position, it doesn't look like I'll need them for down, so nothing on the HPX faceplate. 

Just for the record tho, I finally talked to Audiocontrol this afternoon, their engineer said no problem with magnets on the unit.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic