icon

14.4 volt powerd amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
El Sandman 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2002 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

All these damn componies from Sony, MTX, Alpine and so on tell us what sort of watts you can get from using their amps

1000 watts RMS bridged......@ 14.4 VDC
OK.
I have the same amps, and I want the same watts. So here is what I am doing:

1: Take two car batteries and connect 'em together= 25 volts (12.5 volts each)

2: Use a resistor or cap to only let 14.4 volts through to the amps

3: Use a isolator to keep them charged.

"TADA"

All I need to know is what resistor or cap should I use?

I dont give a Damn If Thay Blow or Burn.
Thats what they sell and thats what the warranty
I know a lot of you are going to say thats not smart
but I am willing to be the lab-rat.

El Sandman

Dan M C. 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2002 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

Hi,Dan M C here,i'm sure you already know that your car/truck does put out 14.5 volts,this 12 V is a "standard" for car electrics just like you have in the States 110 V for home (you can test this by using a voltmeter,also put your tester on the battery on your car and you will see more than 12 V quaranteed).Can i sugest you look at Optima batteries,i'v had one in my BMW about 6 years and still holds charge like new,plus all capacitors will be just fine with 14.5 volts,good luck.

P.S. Do you know anyone that may have drilled thru 3/4" acrylic,you see i'm making this sub box for my A/D/S/ and i'm nervous about cracking it or "MELT DOWN",bye.

caraudioshopbm 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2002 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Wiring your batteries in parallel will still give you a voltage reading of about 12 volt (+ or - 2 volts ). Most vehicles reach 14.4 volts when the alternator is running depending on the current draw of you electrical system. Your best bet is to run a dual output alternator, which will have one output for the car battery and another output for a secondary battery. There are a few different configurations you can go with, such as, a second alternator, battery isolators, accumatch sysems. It all depends on how much money you have to spend and how much current you need.

El Sandman 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2002 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

I have had an Isolator hooked up for about five years but I still can"t reach 14.4 volts

all 3 of my bats run at 12.5 - 12.8.

are you sure 2 bats hooked up would only put out 12 volts?

I do a lot of small electronics and I don"t see how that is right!
But, I May be wrong, would not be the first time ( or would it?14.4 volt powerd amps - Last Post -- posted image.)

What is a ACCUMATCH SYSTEM ?

How much I have to spend? Money is not a big deal.
because  I don't have any!! But I always come across what I need.

And as far as drilling through acrylic, I use a high RPM drill not the 18volt Black & Wricker, but a AC plug in drill. what has worked  best for me is a Craftsman Rotary Tool. Good Luck

El Sandman

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2002 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
Your alternator puts out about 14.4 volts when running. If your car is running, then you'll be getting that power to your amps. The only time you're not getting 14.4 is when you have your car off and are running your system. If it's just at the beach of somehting, it really shoudln't be a big deal. If you need it when not running for coetition, you'll have to do some more creative stuff. I know a number of really high end SPL competitors run their gear at 16v, and I've seen 16v batteries, but that takes a LOT of specialized stuff to make happen, and should only be for total pro level competition. It's really quite an expensive thing to do.
/NyxBass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic