icon

96 windstar stereo doesn't work

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djreiswig 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

On a 96 Windstar the factory stereo/cassette doesn't work.  The display is blank.  I checked the fuse for the radio (#17). I checked for power on the back of the radio, but I think there was only power on one wire.  Shouldn't there be a constant and switched power?

Do I have the wiring schematic right?

Gray plug

lt Grn/blk Constant 12V

Blk  ?  
Yel/blk  Switched 12V
Lt grn  Illum
empty  
Blk  Grnd
empty  
empty 

Blk plug

Or/grn  LF+

blu/wh  LF-
tan/wh  LR+
tan/yel  LR-
wh/grn  RF+
grn/or  RF-
tan/grn  RR+
brn/pink RR-

Small plug (rear control)

Blu/pink ??
tan  ??

Where is the source of the switched power if that is the problem?

If I install an aftermarket radio, what do I do with the rear radio control wires?  Does that function just not work with aftermarket radios?

Thanks for the help...

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 31, 2005 at 6:20 PM / IP Logged  
you will use a afermarket wire harness and all the wire colors on that will match the wire colors of the aftermarket H/U i am not sure if that control for the rear will work i don't think it will and you should have constant power and switched power for the H'U also you can pick up a new aftermarket h/u from www.ikesound.com for under $60
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
The yellow/black is 12 volt switched. If you have a headphone jack on your rear controls this is a common ground speaker system. In this case no aftermarket harness will work. You need to run speaker leads to 3 of the four stock locations.
djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

Fixed the radio.  The fuse for the switched power was dirty.  I took it out and scraped it off and then everything started working.

What's this about a common ground system.  Each speaker has a ground and a positive.

I don't think the rear controls will work with an aftermarket radio.  There are only 2 wires for the rear controls, and there is a seek, volume, band... back there.  I wonder how they do all of this with only 2 wires.  It must be some sort of digital signal or it goes through a computer somewhere first.

I guess all is well for now.  If I end up putting an aftermarket stereo in, I guess I will just not hook up the rear stuff.

tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a headphone jack?
djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
I think there is a headphone jack in the rear.  I thought I could just wire into one of the speakers, but the volume wouldn't be adjustable.  Also, the controls wouldn't work.  Do you think I could get a newer Ford radio with CD and get everything to wire back up and work.  I know the connectors would be different, but is everything there on the back of the radio to connect to?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
If you have a headphone jack all of the speakers share the same ground at the factory head unit. This is called common ground. Almost every aftermarket and most OEM head units are BTL or "floating ground" Hooking a BTL HU up in a common ground vehicle will burn the outputs up. You must run new speaker wires. And no the rear controls and headphone jack are not compatible.
djreiswig 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.  There are 8 speaker wires going to the speakers.  A positive and negative for each one.  They are all separate at the plug on the radio.  How is this a common ground?

Don't other Ford radios wire up the same as this one?  Maybe one with CD.  Would those have hookups for the rear controls?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic