icon

How to get the most power out of my sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pain_is_lov3 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 1:51 AM / IP Logged  

I have a Kicker CompVR 18" subwoofer and a US Acoustics 450 watt amp. The sub has a dual 4 ohm voice coil and i was wondering how could i wire it to my amp to get most power out of it?

Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 3:18 AM / IP Logged  

"If you bridge it, the power will come"How to get the most power out of my sub -- posted image.

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
pain_is_lov3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I cant wire it in parallel and bridge it cuz my amp isnt 1 ohm stable and i dont really want to bridge it wired in series cuz it will be getting lower power. Is there any other way i could wire it? Thanx for ur help tho.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

How to get the most power out of my sub -- posted image.

If you follow the bottom diagram it will run your one 4ohm sub at 2 ohm which will give you maximum bridged power. The other diagrams show you the different parallel wiring configurations for multiple four ohm subs. Hope this info helps

pain_is_lov3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
If i bridged it at 2 ohms that would make it a 1 ohm load and my amp isnt 1 ohm stable.  What about independent wirng? Does anyone know about that?
pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
What type of amp do you have? is it a 2 channel or a mono block? The wiring spec that bberman1 has shown would be the best way to get the most out of any normal 2 channel or digital mono block amp that's both 2 and 1ohm stable. When you wire in a dual 4ohm voice coil sub, its just like wiring up two single voice coil  4ohm subs. Your still gonna get a 2ohm load when you wire it in a parallel configuation. The only way you would see a 1 ohm load to your amp is if you had a dual 2ohm voice coil sub. Then you would see a 1 ohm load to the amp.
live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!
pain_is_lov3 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

Its a 2 channel amp. So what ur saying is i can wire it in parallel and bridge it and the amp would still see 2 ohms and i would get the full 450 watts to the sub?

Thanx im really greatful for all ur help.

pervitizm 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

If the amp you have says that its 2ohm stable, then yes you can wire up the sub parallel and the amp will see  only a 2 ohm load, not a 1ohm. 

You could also just straight wire the sub(mean hook up on voice coil per channel) and that should have you in 4ohm stereo mode.

live & die 4 tha luv of BASS!!!!
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
Like pervitizm  said on a 4 ohm dvc if you wire it in parallel you will only get a 2 ohm load (not 1 ohm). In order for your amp to see a 1 ohm load you would have to have a 2ohm dvc. So yes if you wire the way above your amp will see a 2 ohm load and put out the full 450 watts
St. Dark 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2002 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Entirely incorrect! Bridging an amp will cause it to see half of the actual load. Or, in other words, yes paralleling two 4ohm coils creates a 2ohm load, but ANY bridged amp will perceive it as 1ohm. Which, to your US Acoustics (and many amps, actually), equates to no damping, less power, increased heat and frequent thermal shutdowns.
Just run it 4ohm stereo.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic