icon

Relay for fast light blinker

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
super relay 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 2:02 AM / IP Logged  

How do i do it. it for a 97 accord. i what the bottome light to all say on and when snignal it blink fast. 

joelr7309 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 2:21 AM / IP Logged  

IF YOU REPL THE FLASHER RELAY TO A SMALLER RESIST0R, IT SHOULD BLINK FASTER, HERE IS A DIAGRAM FOR A 93 INTEGRA NOT SURE FOR A 97 ACCORD, and THIS IS NOT EASY, UNLESS YOU JUST CONNECT THE PARKING LIGHTS TO THE  LENS WITHOUT A RELAY, http://www.g2ic.com/tegtips/lighting/bumperlightrelay.gif 

Rewiring Front Bumper Lights with Relay.

Okay, I have a solution for you if you want your bumpers to stay on BRIGHT when the parking lights are on, flash on and off when the blinker or Hazard

lights are activated, and still flash at stock blinker speed (no fast blinkers). Before you start, this is what you are going to need:
  • 18 gauge automotive wire

• 2 automotive light relays

• 2 splice terminals (18 AWG)

• 5 fork terminals (18 AWG)

• 8 female spade terminals (18 AWG)

• 4 male spade terminals (18 AWG)

• 1 5A fuse and holder

• 2 spare 1156 bulb sockets with bulbs (same ones that are in your bumper lights now-$20 at your local auto parts store)

• Crimpers

• Test light (to tell which wire is positive)

• Wire cutters

• Butt connectors or a soldering iron and solder

I think that's it. Now this isn't real easy and is not a real cheap way to do it ($30 or so), but it is safe and looks great.

To see a picture of the wiring diagram. Click here.

1. Remove your bumper lamps, corner lamps, and front bumper.

2. Tap an 18 AWG wire into the under hood fuse box 12V power terminal.
3. Add the inline 5A fuse and holder to this lead. Run that lead down to the area behind your front bumper.
4. Take one of the relays and use a female spade terminal to attach the 12V lead to the "power" terminal on the relay.
5. Use another wire with a fork terminal on one end and a female spade on the other to ground the relay (screw the fork terminal to the frame of the car and plug the spade onto the "ground" terminal of the relay).
6. You are going to need another ground (for your new bumper light) so you might want to cram two wires into the fork terminal and crimp them both in.
7. Route the one to the relay and leave the other one hanging for now.
8. Now use a splice and 18 AWG wire to run the steady on/blink signal from the furthest outside parking light positive lead to the "signal" terminal of the relay.
9. Now attach another lead to the "load" terminal of the relay. This is the wire that will be the positive lead for your bumper light.
10. Now you need to cut off the plug from your existing bumper light (leave some wire so you can wire it in). Use the butt connectors or soldering iron to attach one of the wires to the "load" lead from your relay and other one to the spare hanging "ground" lead.
11. Now the two wires that you cut from your bumper socket need to be wired to the spare 1156 bulb socket. This bulb will light but only when your blinkers are
turned on and you won't see it. It is used as a resistor or load to make your blinkers blink at normal speed. If you want fast blinkers, just put
some electrical tape on the ends of the wires and negate the extra bulb step.

That's it! Repeat for the other side and you're done. You can use the power wire from the first relay and just splice it over to the second relay. After testing, put your bumper, bumper lights, and corner lights back on. The end result is a bright bumper light that stays on with the running lights but will blink when the turn signal is activated. I know it sounds difficult, but it is relatively simple. It should only take you a couple of hours at most. E-mail me if you have any questions. Good luck.

the rookie!~
Sound Pressure 
Silver - Posts: 711
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 2:33 AM / IP Logged  

Hey super relay,

One other thing you can do very easy is to buy the same bulb in the new led version. That's it! You will be blinkin like you never blinked before. I did it on my 95 accord and 92 toyota.

Sound Pressure
You know you have the right amount of pressure when your eyes start to water! Now you've got Juice!
oiivlyfe 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2002 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone know how I can do this on a 2000 mits. galant let me know asap. THanx Jason
securinu 
Silver - Posts: 772
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2002 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
buy the led lights like sp said no resistance = fast blink

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic