icon

98 4Runner Antenna Trouble

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trixreppinva 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

I just put a new head unit in my 98 Toyota 4Runner and I'm having problems with the antenna.  I hooked the factory antenna lead to the antenna jack on the back of the head unit.  But there is still another wire that looks just like the factory antenna lead and I'm not sure where that one is supposed to go because there is nowhere on the back of the head unit to plug it in at.  I'm sure thats why I can't get my antenna to go up and I can't get any radio stations.  So if anyone could help me out that'd be great.

azdoi 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  

you don't need the smaller plug, it's for the factory diversity antenna.  There is probably a power antenna lead that needs to be powered up probably a BLACK/ red wire, or on some Toyota's there is an up/down switch on the dash for the antenna.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Diversity antenna is correct, smaller antenna plug does not need to be hooked up. Pink lead and black lead next to it BOTH need to be hooked to your remote on for antenna to go up. Use remote on rather then power antenna lead on your deck since this also powers up the factory amp.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
If the deck has a dedicated power antenna lead, use it. Do not increase the load on the remote on if possible. This way the antenna will only go up when the tuner is on instead of being up at all times whenever the cd player is turned on. Blue is generally the power antenna line and blue/white is a remote on line.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
But Rob the factory amp will not turn on when you play the CD player this way. Toyota's factory harness splices the power antenna and amp turn on together in this truck.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry bout that, I normally use Eclipse cd players which have both lines, I separate the factory wiring.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic