Listening for speaker phase

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
myc spitta 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2002 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

Someone told me a way of determining if there was a problem with the speakers being out of phase by using the faders and just listening to bass levels, but I can't remember it. Does anyone know how to do this? Do I need a test signal cd of some sort? And is there maybe a test signal that can be downloaded from the net (hahaha - for free, of course).

Thanks.

diabloed 
Copper - Posts: 133
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
who ever told you that was correct just put in a good cd and use the fader and balance and listen for an increase in the bass.
myc spitta 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I found out how to do it. Get a ~100Hz wave file (I'll let you find one) and write it to a cd Then you can use the balance to listen for a decrease in bass when centred compared to left or right speaker only. Not only a decrease in bass - the volume will become significantly lower as the single tone cancels much of itself out. I had trouble hearing it with just a normal music cd (maybe I don't lisen to music with enough monotone in it.....). I found my rears were definately out of phase.
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  

God, I don't know how many times I have gotten into a customer's car and found the speakers out of phase. And the customer didn't even know it!

Simply listening to the Bass while turning the balance and fader will work, but then you have to figure out which one is properly connected. Is it the left, or the right? It won't matter which one you switch, because then they will both be working in the same direction. But are they still correctly phased? Maybe, maybe not. And will they be in phase with the rest of the system?

The easy way to make sure is check the wires. But that can't always work unless you know the wires haven't been spliced somewhere. Check em at the amp or source, then at the speaker terminals.

My old time reliable method was to enlist the eyeball of a friend (or fellow installer, or the customer, or the salesperson, sometimes even the owner), taking a 9-volt battery (standard equipment in my tool box) and pop the speaker wires momentarily (with the wires disconnected from amp or head unit of course), having the eyeballer telling you which direction the speaker cone travels. Forward movement indicates correct polarity. Bend the positive(or negative) lead over to mark it for reference.

If you don't have an assistant, then use your ears. Taking your trusty 9 volt battery, then holding both L & R speaker leads at the same time touch them to the battery, listening to tonal depth of the popping noise. Do this a couple of times so your inner ear remembers. Then reverse one set of the speakers leads and repeat the popping. You will notice a difference in the depth of the pop. If it now sounds shallow, then the speakers are now out of phase. If it sounds deeper the second time, then the speakers are now "in-phase". At that time, I usually bend the positive lead over as a way to mark it, if I am not connecting it at that time.

Some people will say that using a 9 volt battery could blow the tweeters. I did it this way for years and never had that happen. The crossover network will block the DC.

Clean tools = Clean work!
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
It COULD blow the tweeters with a 9v, but you'd have to either blow the cap (which is possible on some cheap speakers) or do it to a tweeter w/o protection (again, cheap speakers). Just something to watch out for. Pretty unlikely though. I can find phase with pretty much any music, it's just a matter of knowing what to listen for and experience doing it. It's normally just a lack of midbass when out of phase (though sometimes,in some spots in the car, it may even be better) and more midbass when in phase. Make sure to move around a bit, because there will be some nodes in the car where it gets even better out of phase. In all, it comes down to what sounds best to your ears.
/NyxBass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic