the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How do thieves break thru alarm systems?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
keller8854 wrote:

I am curious as to what ways thiefs can break past, disable, or other wise get passed alarm systems? Is there any total protection that one person could have to stop anyone? What is the best alarm, not brand but style (i.e. two-way, Gps or other) that someone could have to protect themselves?

Car theif (usually) always pop the hood and cut the ground and power wire. The alarm systems is disable. A back up siren is probably the best protection you will get for your money in terms of getting attention to your car. What's the best alarm system to protect your car? NONE!   If you ask what is the best way to protect your car? It's called common sense. Clean out your car often. If you got nothing in the car. There is nothing to steal. If you got $5000 system in your car, if that is the case then you got to talk to the people in Congress about a few lot of rules changes.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.How do thieves break thru alarm systems? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with you guys on the cutting of the battery cables.
It happened to my nieghbor twice. And he had a hood pin. On
one of the occassion I heard the alarm that night but I did n't care because the sound was not one of my family cars.An
alarm is not gonna work if you dont know its going off. The best protection is common sense. Install a motion detecting light mounted high up so no one can just go unscrew the bulb. have two way paging with stealth install and battery back up. And for god sake dont go and advertise your system
bumping all the way to your house turn it down a mile or so before u get home. My nieghbor does that now. I have all that and a security camera with 3 chiquwaa's that barks like crazy. And a smith& wesson. I wonder why they chose his car instead mines?
youngblood 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

Hoods, while still shut and secured, can still be pried up enough to expose your battery cables.  Most of the time, your battery is snugged right up against the fenderwell of your car with your (usually) negative cable positioned in just the right spot to allow a pair of good cutters in to snip it while the hood is pryed up with another tool.  There goes your security system.  This happened to me.  Believe me when I tell you that they don't care if they dent your hood getting it up far enough... they're not very concerned.

my last alarm was also in the process of being disabled but my dog woke us up... Good dog... goooooood dog!  I ran out in my underwear and peppered that S.O.B. with paintballs as he dove into his buddies getaway car.  Unfortunately for him, HIS car was parked on the other side of my house with his keys in the ignition.  Needless to say, a bad guy lost his car.  On an interesting note... in the thiefs car were three bb gun rifles, a couple of break in tools that looked like ignition bypasses and three slutty girly magazines.  I suppose they like to do some light reading just before they shoot your window out from a block away  and walk up and steal your car.  I would have almost been impressed if I had found a hardback copy of Les Miserables instead of the latest edition of Swank.

f00dstamps 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
did the thief get his car back? did you call the cops and report that it was the thief's car?
Satkunas 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Hood latches and solonoids are useless. Any decent thief doesn't have to pop the hood to disable the battery. On most vehicles the main power first runs down to the starter and then back up to a fused distribution block. All any would-be theif have to do is scoot underneath your engine with a pair of wire cutters and cut the main battery wire right at the starter right out in the open. There's no need to pry the hood open.
Some thieves will use a cordless drill with a long small drill bit and pierce a hole through your front fender and into the battery. The water will leak out and in about half an hour any battery (and even any backup batteries) will be dead by the time they return.
Shock sensors are usually too sensitive and false all the time or are not sensitive enough. Breaking a window with a spark-plug and a small rug if effortless and most shock sensors will false from a thunder-strike or passing vehicles long before triggering from this amount of impact.
Heck anyone who's completed EET will know how to defeat a boomerang. (if you don't know, don't ask).
No car is unstealable. The best anti-theft 'deterrence' is intelligence. As mentioned above don't advertise your sound-system, don't leave CD's and spare change laying about, and park in well lit high traffic areas.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic