icon

Trunk Rattle Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
djezg 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Hello. I have two 12" Audiopipe subs in my 1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme.  The problem I'm having is that my trunk lid rattles a lot.  Is there any ideas to stop this or even reduce it?
djezg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot to mention, the the subs are in a sealed box. Does it matter the size of the box?  The box is pretty big and I would like to reduce the size so that I can put it up closer to my back seat in the trunk.
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2002 at 4:06 PM / IP Logged  
Try dynamat or what our shop sells, stinger roadkill...  Coat the entire inside of the trunk lid using a heat gun to shape the matting so it will stick to curves and crevices...  You can also fill in any holes with a spray dampening material...  Also, cut a piece and put it on the backside of your liscence plate.  This may not completely solve the problem, but it is a definate start...
Jesse
Joseph's Car Everything
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2002 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
I like to use Brown Bread http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html have used both brown bread and dynamat and find that brown bread is just as good as dynamat and easier to install at a fraction of the cost. Also do as JellyNutz says with the hard to reach places and get some canned foam to fill any unnecessary holes or crevices. But any ways is sure to dynamat the whole trunk. With the trunk lid you can apply 2 layers as it almost doubles its effectiveness As far as the size of the enclosure usually sealed enclosures are not that large.  Each individual sub has parameters which are used to calculate the correct volume of the enclosure. You can not take any box and plug any sub into it like a lot of people do.  If you give me the make and model # of your sub I will try to give you the correct volume for your enclosure.
djezg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2002 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
I have 2 Audiopipe TS-R12s.
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2002 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Here are the specs provided by the manufacture http://www.audiopipe.com/Specs.asp?Productid=TS-R12&NumOfSpecs=2
I would run them in a sealed box with a volume of 1.0 cu/ft. You can use the 12volts volume calculator https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#rec to build a 1.0 cu/ft box. Hope this helps if you have any more questions don’t hesitate to ask
djezg 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2002 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the info.
chasesaccessori 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2002 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by chasesaccessori on November 15, 2002

Kinda depends upon the application location.  If it were me, I would get a little of both.

Use the stickeiest stuff on vertical locations and the less sticky on horizontal locations.  I would suggest buying about two to three cans of spray foam to pump into all the cracks and creveses between the body panels and frame work and to fill in big holes in areas.  It may sound a little messy but the end results will be spectacular.  (just make sure you pay attention to where you cars venting runs so you don't fill them.)

(owner/installer)
Chase's Accessories
Ridgecrest, CA
in business since 92

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic