Dusk sensing auto-headlamp module

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boost n juice 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Got one off ebay for $12 shipped!

Installed it and the problem I'm having is there's no delay...Basically, you go under a bridge and the headlights turn on...Also, when the headlights are on at night, if someone is heading at me on the side of the road with HIDs, my headlights will turn off until the HID pass me...

It's basically a photocell attached to a relay...What I need to build circuit with a delay that only "interupts" the current when a certain time frame is reached...Any ideas?  Or does anyone know where I could get a better module for cheap?

boost n juice 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

bobk wrote:
How did you hook up the relay? it should be so that the head light switch will override the relay.

Yes, it is hooked up like that...But if I have to turn the switch on and off, what's the point to even adding this feature?

I need to figure out a way to wire in a delay...

OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  

When you say under a bridge....Do you mean you are passing a bridge at high speed, and the lights go on? Or do you mean stopped underneath it? If you are stopped underneath it, most auto lights  will turn on. If you also go underneath a lengthy bridge, most auto lights will go on. There is not much you can do about this.

As for other people's HID's....have you tried moving the photocell to a different location? That might help somewhat. But if other people's headlights are affecting it, then it does sound like a cheap product to me. The clifford nightvision has worked pretty good for me, sometimes you can find them on ebay.

About your relay. When the photocell sees nightfall, the relay USUALLY supplies either 12V or ground to your parking and headlights. If you add a timer to interrupt current, you are essentially just turning off your lights. Granted, I dont know which product you used, so the wiring I just described may not apply.  Assuming that you installed it, you know the wiring, and you are sure a delay will help you, try using a DEI 528T. It can delay between 1-90 seconds.

boost n juice 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
OmarR wrote:

When you say under a bridge....Do you mean you are passing a bridge at high speed, and the lights go on? Or do you mean stopped underneath it? If you are stopped underneath it, most auto lights  will turn on. If you also go underneath a lengthy bridge, most auto lights will go on. There is not much you can do about this.

As for other people's HID's....have you tried moving the photocell to a different location? That might help somewhat. But if other people's headlights are affecting it, then it does sound like a cheap product to me. The clifford nightvision has worked pretty good for me, sometimes you can find them on ebay.

About your relay. When the photocell sees nightfall, the relay USUALLY supplies either 12V or ground to your parking and headlights. If you add a timer to interrupt current, you are essentially just turning off your lights. Granted, I dont know which product you used, so the wiring I just described may not apply.  Assuming that you installed it, you know the wiring, and you are sure a delay will help you, try using a DEI 528T. It can delay between 1-90 seconds.

Thanks...This issue is, the photocell reacts instantly...At high speeds under a short bridge it will turn the lights on...I had a GM truck that had this option stock and there was a built in delay, I think 4 seconds long...

The wiring is tapped into the positive head/park light wires...A delay is only part of my problem...With a delay set at 4 seconds, if I go under a bridge, my lights would still turn on 4 seconds later correct?  That will that DEI 528T only supply power AFTER 4 seconds?  Thanks!

OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

That's a good point. After you have EXITED from underneath a bridge (or dark area) and emerged into full light, how many seconds does it take for your lights to turn back OFF? A serious module will have a long delay. The Clifford Nightvision (I only go back to this model because I have it installed in my car) will wait a full 50 seconds or so before turning OFF the headlights after I emerge from lengthy tunnel. I think this 50 second delay is to prevent problems such as the HID one that you describe.

On the flip side, it takes about a full 10 seconds of darkness to turn on the lights, so most bridges pass by to quickly to affect it.

Do you know what brand you are using?

To answer your 528T question...YES, you can set it to supply power AFTER 4 seconds.

boost n juice 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 5:20 AM / IP Logged  
OmarR wrote:

That's a good point. After you have EXITED from underneath a bridge (or dark area) and emerged into full light, how many seconds does it take for your lights to turn back OFF? A serious module will have a long delay. The Clifford Nightvision (I only go back to this model because I have it installed in my car) will wait a full 50 seconds or so before turning OFF the headlights after I emerge from lengthy tunnel. I think this 50 second delay is to prevent problems such as the HID one that you describe.

On the flip side, it takes about a full 10 seconds of darkness to turn on the lights, so most bridges pass by to quickly to affect it.

Do you know what brand you are using?

To answer your 528T question...YES, you can set it to supply power AFTER 4 seconds.

That's good news about the 528T, but it's $30 plus shipping :(  Mine doesn't have a brand on it....If I go under a bridge quickly, I'd say the lights turn on for a half second total...It's pretty much instant on and instant off...

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic