icon

oak plywood for subwoofer enclosure ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Dan M C. 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2002 at 9:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everyone,today i purchased some 3/4"(19mm) oak plywood to construct my subwoofer enclosure,it will not be big somewhwere at 0.90 cubic feet for A/D/S/ 310RS.2 in a sealed version,my question is will the sound waves make the box vibrate or ratlle,i know most people use adf,but i'm willing to try a new material.The box will be shaped in a wedge type firing into the behind of the armrest (back seat ofcourse) in an agle to make use of the space in my BMW (E36),the angled side will have the A/D/S/ and the back of box will hold the amps,crossover,digital cap,distribution blocks,etc;what do you guys think ?

I used "THE 12 VOLT.COM" enclosure calculator and looks kinda complicated,can anybody perhaps design one for me,much apreciated.

PS.ONE SIDE HAS TO BE 24.25" X 14.75"(the straight side,why you wonder...i will be using acrylic in that size in thicness of 0.75" same as the oak plywood)

THANK YOU ALL !!!

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2002 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
Plywood isn't used as often as mdf because it's more resonant. You can use it though. Be sure to do a good job bracing it. It could look a little more messy than mdf if you're using plexi, cause extra bracing will be visible. One neat trick I learned from the older pro's was to take the circle you cut out for the speaker, cut it in quarters or whatever you need to fit, and use it as bracing inside. Works great and saves money too!
/NyxBass
Dan M C. 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2002 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you NyxBass,i apreciate your idea very much !
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2002 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  
Any Time! Be sure to use proper bracing techniques on a box out of oak. Look around for sub/box buiding sites (even home audio)- they are a great help. You'll want to brace the large walls to the opposite one in the middle if possible, and remeber to subtract the volume of any bracing from your box. Remember: the stiffer your box, the better it'll sound. Good Luck!
/NyxBass

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic