Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
Glad to hear you solved the problem
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

"Alright so your power wire that runs from the battery to the amp and your RCA cable’s run parallel thru the car am I correct?"

My power wires and RCA's run to the amp in the same general direction however they are in close proximity to each other.  Due to the undercarpet heating ducts and other obstacles, they run as close as 18" apart for about two feet.  Due to the same, the speaker wires and individual power wires run together to go back under the carpet. I have no problems with whine thankfully.  How about other noise?  I do hear some good static (pink noise??) when the volume is very low.  Help please.

Factory Honda head unit - Stinger SALOC output converter - Zapco EQ preamp balanced line 8volt output - Zapco Mono amp with pass through to Zapco stereo amp.  Least amount of noise is achievable when:  gains on the output converter are higher and preamp input/output boosts set to 0db, instead of the other way.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Is it a hissing sound that you get?

F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, it is a hissing sound.

I think it might have been there before, but just not as pronounced now that I have the EQ installed, just put it in Sunday. 

Im just trying to make sure I didnt do anything incorrectly wiring wise.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you have the gains set wrong. If you set the level to low your going to have noise problems like you have now. If you set them too high you’ll have distortion problems. So what you need to do is find the level that maximizes the signal to noise ratio while avoiding distortion. Now to do that MB Quart has some good tech advice. http://www.mbquart.com/ma-techpapers.htm#blow go toward the bottom and they will tell you how to set the inputs. remember that you have to adjust the high to low converter as well as everything else
F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  

Hey bberman.  Thanks for the good link.

This article relates to clipping and doesnt address the hissing Im experiencing however, it did give me some other ideas that I could try to minimize the noise.   

I dont compete, so I set up my systems so that there is no way to induce a huge amount of distortion by accident.  I turn all the gains up, and down, so that the head unit's max volume level is just starting to distort.  Though, I may have to do some fine tuning to get rid of that hissing til I get my new head unit. 

Thanks for your help.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
bberman1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
If you get a new head there is a possibility that the hissing might go away. If you unplug the hi to lo converter and turn everything on do you still get the hissing or does it go away.
dcash18 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 8:21 AM / IP Logged  
When you play a 0 bit track do you get the same hiss?  If you dont then you have amp hiss.  Use an oscilliscope to set up your sound and you can get rid of the noise
F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  

Good suggestion bberman1 - I will try disconnecting the converter and see what comes out. 

Interesting... dcash18 - I hope this isnt elementary, but where do I get a CD with a 0 bit track?  Can I burn an 'empty' track?  How?  Never thought about listening to  "          ". 

F4Pilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

Alrighty then.  I unplugged the converter and still a hiss.

Deviated from my normal routine and tried re-adjusting all the gains, everywhere.  Tried changing the selectable input voltage on the amps, played with the 0, 6, 12db input and output boosts on the EQ.  I ended up right back where I started with the exception of the EQ volume and Amp volumes at 3/4 full vice all the way full.  Hiss has almost gone!  Gimme a break.  I spent half an hour trying those different combinations.  I was getting EQ hiss from full volume and Amp hiss from full volume.  Just tweaking those two did the trick.   

Interesting note - while I was tuning, I noticed the hiss would go away between tracks.  

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic