icon

radio has power, but no speaker noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kvnband 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  

OK, here is the situation.  One day, the stereo stopped putting out sound.  Went and bought a new stereo to put in, and the same thing is happening.  Power goes to stereo but speakers do nothing.  Tried new speaker in stock position with stock wiring...nothing.  Tried new speaker with new wire going straight from stereo to speaker...nothing.   When adjusting the volume, we hear a pop*pop*pop*pop*pop everytime the dial clicks, but that is the only sound coming out.  Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks,

Kevin

sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
Shorted wire in the chassis somewhere?
Other than that, I got nuthin.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
kvnband 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
My dad is a master electrician, but this has got him stumped (it is in his truck, but I'm usually the stereo/alarm guy). We talked about how sometimes you can have a minor short that just takes away power from the line, so maybe the stereo is getting enough power to turn on, but not to power the speakers? He has seen it on ventilation systems before, but didn'tknow if that could happen in a vehicle. So that's all we've got right now too.
Kevin
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
All i can really give you is some trouble shooting ideas
Ok take the radio out and hook it up to a 12volt (the red and yellow wires) then just hook up a speaker to test the channels. If they work on to phase 2.
Run new wiring to the speaker(Just start with one) if that one works do it to the rest.
If this doesn't work take a meter to the wiring, see if acc and constant are bolth getting 12 volts when the radio is on.
Other then that i have no idea.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 2:19 PM / IP Logged  
Could be a bad ground.  Try directly grounding the HU to the chassis and not through the wiring harness.
Support the12volt.com
evanc 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
Always factor in the possibilty of a blowm internal amplifier. You may just be that 1/1,000,000 that replaces a radio with a blown internal amp with another with the same problem. I'd go check out the new radio somewhere else to see if it works there.
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I am with dyohn on the ground. if there is an improper ground on the radio it will try and ground through whatever it can find. Most times through the speakers or through an rca.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn is right, you could pull the hu out and bench test it too.
Big Dave
blackmica3 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree on the ground. try regrounding the head unit. If that doesn't work, how are the speakers hooked up, hopefully both positive and negative are wired. I have seen situations where peeps have tried to ground the speakers to the chassis, NOT GOOD.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic