icon

musical question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
Does anyone know more or less what frequency those gigantic toms that pantera and most other metal bands play at? 
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

Toms generally live between about 35Hz and about 2Khz with lots of ringing and harmonics up to 15Khz.

If you're planning to record toms, my favorite microphones are the Sennheiser E604 or the EV N/D 468 as they have good solid low end and extended high-end frequency response and can handle the relatively high SPL of toms.  If you're asking because you want to know which speakers they will utilize in a normal setup, the answer is all of them.

Support the12volt.com
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a bunch, that was exactly the answer I was looking for.  I'm not recording but I was wondering why a specific song sounded great on my computer but not quite as good (the toms) in my truck.  guess I have holes I didn't realize i had.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
MOST vehicles have holes they don't realize they have, and most of these are in the so-called "mid-bass" region, between their subwoofer low-pass setting and the lowest actual efficient capability of their mid-range woofer in their main speakers.  For example, if your sud is crossed over at 70 or 80 Hz and you use standard 6.5" front speakers, I can almost guarantee you have a hole between about 85 Hz and 120 to 240 Hz.  That is, unless your front mains are very good indeed.
Support the12volt.com
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

would 6x9's in the rear deck provide the necessary fill to even out this hole; or would something like an 8" be required?

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
Good question, I was going to ask something similar.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  

I would think not, as the speakers are still in the back. And if you are running a sub, they generally will be x-over at a point that will not produce what you are looking for.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
A good tom sound is nice and round, yet punchy... at least that's what my ears tell me when I'm mixing (of course, the Sears kit that has never had the heads tuned, much less changed is another matter.... you can't polish a turd)
You would be looking in and around the 1-3khz range for the attack, 200-400Hz for the body, and around 80-100Hz for the thud factor.
Gus
Hey DYohn... you forgot about the venerable MD421... a favourite "target" for drummers for decades! The 604 and the E/V mic are up on my list.... Audix D series are nice... ATM 25 is a great value. Love it as a kick mic.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
DYohn 
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
You are 100% right there,  gus.  I have four 421's in my kit and I use them for everything.  GREAT all-around mics that even work well for vocals.  I also like almost all the AKG mics.
Support the12volt.com
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
There is one AKG I would absolutely love to get my hands on desperately...... the D12 (not to be confused with the egg shaped pre-eq'ed heavy metal kick mic of choice D112). Really great all around mic... my personal favourite for guitar. Wanna really get a huge guit. sound? AT AE2500. The dual element kick mic. Amazing snare mic as well. Good for snare you can feel.... mwaaaaahhhaaaa. Ahhh.... live audio. Gotta love it.
Gus
PS: Killer overhead: AT 40 series... 4055 or 4050 (?) If you're doing jazz or swing... park an AT- ATM25 in the kick, couple these overhead, and you are set.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic