icon

Amp on a toggle switch

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
asdf1234 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2002 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Ok   I have my highs amp on my remote from me cd player,  Then I have my amp for my subs on a toggle switch so that if I dont feeling like bass I dont have it.  To powerr my toogle switch I just used the power wire from my ash tray light(I took off the light so the only thing on the line is a toggle switch).   My question is does it hurt my amp at all to have it on a toggle switch
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
That will work you wont harm the amp but you should put a fuse on the line to protect your car as well as the amp.
asdf1234 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  

the power line coms from the fuse panel so I assumed it would blow if I ahve any problems

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  

sounds good

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

That should be fine, but I do want to clarify that you are switching the amp's turn on 12v, not the actual 12v+ from the battery. Doing so could possibly damage your amp.

/NyxBass
Maxmouse1983 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Maybe u could get the same kind of radio that i have.  u could turn just the sub line off with out turing off the whole radio.  I have a jvc radio that i just bought from A1    about$310

doug1983
asdf1234 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
no I am getting a kenwood KDC-x959  and I have the toodle switch on what use to be my ash tray light and I took the light off and put the toddle switch on it
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  

If your remote line will handle the current, you could run 2 remote lines from the 1 remote lead of the HU... 1 to your highs amp, the other to your lows amp.  Put the toggle switch on the Low line.  This allows regulated current from the HU to turn the amps on and off (plus the toggle).  When the HU is off, no current goes through the remote leads.  I have done several systems this way and have not had any problems.

The way you've described can kill your battery if you accidently leave the toggle in the "on" position.  You will always have a current going through that remote line since the ashtray light is not regulated by the cars ignition source.  If you leave the toggle on, the amp will stay on even after turning the car off.

Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
paul1732 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
What I had at one time for the exact same thing that you're doing is an AV multisource switch. It had an A for one AV source, and B for the other. You just run the RCA's from the head unit to the switch in the A position, leave the B position empty. Then run cables to from the switch to the amp. When you switch it to A, the bass is on, B the bass is off.
mikec1999 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  

or run the switched +12v lead (usually the power antenna lead/ amp turn on wire) into a relay, then branch off that to your two amps... that way it's drawing off your battery and not your head unit... then you can plug your ash tray light back in and put that toggle switch inline between the relay and the amp...

that is what i would do any way...

just a suggestion... Mike

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic