icon

Polyfill?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
konrad100 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1.5 cu ft chaber for a alpine swr-1242d sub, is it beneficial or even necessary to put in polifill inside and HOW MUCH???
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 2:26 PM / IP Logged  
From what I've read, it slows the soundwaves and "tricks" the sub into "thinking" it's in a bigger box.  Also from what I've read, about 1lb of fill per ft3 of airspace.  I was told recently that this is also considered heavy stuffing.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
I guess whether or not is up to you. sorry for the double post.
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
pollyfill is a product that you can get cheap. i get mine at walmart and it is like $8 for a 5lb box of it. as for filling you gust have to experiment all subs are different with the pollyfill is gust lowering the speed that the sound travels through the box if you have a ported box. you gust have to play with the amount that you put in there to much makes it sound muffled, to little makes it sound boomy you want it gust between the two or how ever you like it. if you have a sealed box puting poly in it makes the capable of hiting a lower hz better. but you dont really need to put it in a sealed box if it is built to the speaks of the sub. you can try and put some in the sealed box by braking the stuff up so is is not so dens and put it in the box very loosely and see how that sounds experiment with it and make your own apinion useing this as a starter. good luck   Polyfill? -- posted image. Polyfill? -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
Bigsingh 
Copper - Posts: 204
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  
all polyfill does is smoothen the subs response, ull hear the difference but if you're looking to get loud then poyfill is not the way. yea in a sealed box it will allow it to drop lower but personally its a waste of time in ported unless ur making an oversized box for SQ purposes. if u r making an sq setup then this stuff will make a difference but like youngone sed just experiment with it until u hav summit u like
6* Rockford T2's
6* POWER AMPs
BLACK CORRADO
BAANNGGIINN
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Huh?
Why don't u guys try graphing out poly-filled boxes in WinISD.
Polyfill functions to hammer out the response curve of a peaky enclosure at the expense of some efficiency. Note that while polyfill does flattens down peaks, it does *not* actually give you any real low frequency extention, like a port, just hammers down the peaks.
Yes, 1lb/sqft is *alot* of that stuff. From personnal experience I'd imagine nearly any box would sound better without it... especially *that* much of it.. That would be quite a tight fit.
A 1.5cft box is huge for a single twelve.. adding polyfill to that thing would be retarded, whether or not the enclosure is ported.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
steezs 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Is that the only stuff you can put in the box and 2 other things, do you have glue that stuff on your just toss it in the box? And do you put some type of netting over the port to keep it from blowing out? (If you break it in smaller pieces)
the duce
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

you want to glue it to the sides of a ported box otherwise it will make its wat thru the port.

a sealed box you can just stuff it in. but try to keep it away from getting stuck between the back of the cone and the basket.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
...and netting over the end of the port is not good enough.  If the polyfil becomes loose and rests against the port end it will make the box tuning suffer.  You need space at the end of the tube, so use rigid wire and fashion an extended sleeve if you are putting polyfil in a vented box.  Or just glue wads to the sides so that you know it's not going to fall all over the place inside the box.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
and as an anser your question about different stuff to use in the place of polyfill you can use wool which is the ideal pading but it ceatle and it is pritty pricy to like $6 to $8 a pound. there is a different kind of stuff that has all of the +'s that wool has but dosent ceatle over time. i cant remember what it is called i think it starts with a q sorry i cant remember. hope this helpsPolyfill? -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic