painting a subwoofer

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davemk7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2005 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  

hi all,

i may not be in the correct forum for this question,but i do know i will get the right answer here as people like yourself will have tried or at least attempted what i would like to do.

ok,first things first,i have a jbl gt4-12 1000watt(peak) subwoofer,which is not really nice to look at.exactly in the middle of the speaker jbl has painted/stickered its logo on there and what wattage the sub is.what i want to do is actually paint over this ugly part of the sub with spray paint,and paint it silver.jbl's orange logo will not blend in nicely with a blue and silver install and thats why i want to get rid of it.

the question(s) i have is,will the paint actually take to the sub? and if it does,will it actually stay there when the speaker is in motion? any help would be great.

cheers guys,

dave.

live by the ford,die by the ford.
2002greyhd150 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
it sounds like you haven't painted much with spray cans. So this may seem a little "long winded" but its the best way I have found to do spray can painting/fine detailing.
the frame of the sub & the magnet structure would be fine to paint.. what I ahve done is take the soft Blue Scott Shop towels (very little lint) & CAREFULLY tuck them into the speaker frame between the frame & the cone. Be carefull around the tinsel leads & the spider/voicecoil area... Avoid using tape except against the back sides of the speaker frame itself.
Use a red(medium) or white(fine) scotch-brite scuiff pad. scuff the speaker frame, then clean with wax & grease remover ON A TOWEL do not pour the liquid on the speaekr frame itself.
On the magnet where the sticker likely is.. try to peel as much of the stocker off as you can. Use wax & grease remover to get all the sticky stuff from the sticker/label. The scuff the magnet like the frame. If the Magnet has a rubber protector around the magnet, pry it off with a small flat screw driver. scuff it all up, wax/grease remover... let is air dry...about 15 minutes...
lay the woofer cone down on the bench/table. now wipe it down one more time.
Use Krylon, SEM, or Duplicolor. They seem to have better mixes that seem to fight fish eyes better, as far as spray cans go. Start off with a VERY light dust coat... literally it should look like dust or little specs of the color you chose. Then each coat (3-4) should be slightly heavier, but never thick.. let each coat dry about 10-15 minutes. Be patient... if you go to fast you will get runs or it will lift/peel... Also, always spray in the same pattern each time... Start at the magnet & work down to the basket ending at the mounting flange.. this way the overspray/dust won't cloud the upper section fo the part you are painting.
Same priniciples apply to painting Amp chassis/heatsinks, pretty much anything...
Good luck, hope that helps
Rob
MECP Sales/Install
IASCA/NACA/CAN Cert. Install & SQ judge
davemk7 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

hi rob,

maybe i didnt explain myself fully with my question,sorry if i confused you.it is the front of the sub i want to paint,the actual cone,the center of it.if you go to www.jbl.com and search for my sub,gt4-12 under the products section,you will see a pic of the woofer from the front view.its this writing and the orange enblem i want to cover.if i do this,i need to know that the travel of the cone will not shake the paint loose or crack it.any idea's or will this actually work?

cheers,

dave.

2002greyhd150 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
hmmm.. I missed that part.. LOL
I would look in your local yellow pages for Electronic or Speaker repairs. There are shops that can rebuild woofers for home/pro-audio... they have just plain black dust caps. They can remove the JBL dust cap & glue a plain black cap on... the caps are like $1 a piece... all different sizes, that would be the BEST option...
from there... silly as it sounds: Sharpie or Marks-a-Lot black magic marker & do the whole cap. Or take some Rit Fabric Dye (brand name) in black... use one of those foam edging brushes for painting & staining... & carefully dab the dye onto the entire dust cap. I have had good luck restoring older dust caps this way.
good luck
Rob
MECP Sales/Install
davemk7 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

hi rob,

thanks for the reply.i wouldnt bet on a place here in ireland that would be able to fix or repair speakers the way you have described.may be in dublin,but defo not where i live in galway..its still backward here in ireland im afraid!!!!

i will try masking off around the cone to paint the cap.i need to spray it unfortunately,as i have sprayed other stuff the same colour.thanks for the tip's anyways.

take it easy,

dave.

2002greyhd150 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
just do very light coats & you should be fine. If you can find it use vinyl/upholstry dye instead of paint if you ahve it there.
Rob
MECP Sales/Install
ss-installer 
Silver - Posts: 444
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
spray it.... it wont rattle off.
skeptikal 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 3:37 PM / IP Logged  

You do realize that painting the cone of a sub (if its enough paint) will affect the performance of the sub? It changes the Moving mass.

It's up to you tho

NuSonic Sounds
Brandon McGinnis
Your Source for Ology Audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic