icon

Battery Wire vs Amp Wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KBToys 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 12:00 PM / IP Logged  

I was think of replacing my 8 gauge battery wire that runs my truck and using 0 gauge amp wire. Is there going to be a problem? I can get 0 gauge amp wire cheaper than getting 0 gauge battery wire. What the difference between the two?

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
Probably the strand count. The higher, the better. Also, most battery cable has a somewhat heat-resistant jacket, while Amp power cable often doesn't. Not a big deal, just use wire loom.
/NyxBass
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
Should not have a problem the main difference is  the strand count. The Battery cable has a lower strand count and each strand is a larger gauge. As far as the Amp cable it has many more strands that are very fine which makes it a lot more flexible than battery cable. But you can use it as battery cable; just remember if you upgrade the Power cable to do the same to the ground cable.
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
I can't think of any reason to change the factory battery lead, except for cosmetic reasons. After all, when the vehicle is running, everything is basically running off the alternator. But, and I have done it, make sure your connectors are securely fastened at both ends. Its best to solder them, to avoid any corrosion possibilities at the battery. I found this out the easy way!
kali 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

Some battery cables contain fusable links!

To the future!
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 4:45 AM / IP Logged  

I have used 1/0 welding cable in many installs, especially when people dont have the desire to spend the outrageous amount of money for the fancy name brand 1/0 and there is 0 difference in power delivery...its strictly cosmetics and flexibility...and if you buy welding cable, it is usually a little stiff, but still very workable unless you want to make 3 inch loops or something silly and impractical like that...

I upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery as soon as I buy a car...before anything else is ever considered...(I upgrade the ground at the same time too, before anyone jumps on that...) just as a precautionary method so I know it wont present a problem in the future...

KBToys 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  

I am going to replace my stock battery because I think it is about to got with the new excide sealed battery, but the problem is the stock battery wires are just barley to short to reach the terminals on the new battery I am going to get. So instead of adding more wire to the original I figure I would just replace wire and while I am doing it might as well go with a bigger wire. Thanks everybody you relpys have been great in helping me decide what to do.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic