icon

791xv multi-remore programming

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jameseric 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 791in one of my cars and would like to add one to my other car. How can I program both remotes to operate both systems?

Thanks,

James

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
So when you go out to Unlock your vehicle to go to work, you Unlock the other vehicle & leave it Disarmed?
Or when you R / S your vehicle & get in it to leave, you leave the other one running?
HHMMMM, & I thought I was the only one perpendicular to the straight edge...
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
jameseric 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
ROTFLMAO. You are funny but I think it will work better if I select the car before using the remote. According to DEI each remote can operate up to 4 cars but they won't tell me how to program the remotes. If anyone knows please share the secret.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
jameseric wrote:
ROTFLMAO. You are funny but I think it will work better if I select the car before using the remote. According to DEI each remote can operate up to 4 cars but they won't tell me how to program the remotes. If anyone knows please share the secret.
The remotes have to have the 5th button on the rear at the bottom of the remote.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
jameseric 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
The remotes have the "P" button on the back.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

those remotes are for the new AM product, not the FM product like the 791... sorry....

the new units like the 5000 or Clifford 10.5 which give you this feature of selecting vehicle A or B are an AM unit.... these remotes are not compatible with the FM Responder units.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Last bunch of 479V's I got in have the P on the back (holding one right now). As a matter of fact, I've been programming P buttoned remotes to responder units for a few months now. I think there is actually an identical, but different part numbered responder remote that goes with the 5000 (has the bargraph along the bottom). Peeling through the manual for both the 791 and the 479V, it looks like it doesen't do 2nd car. The 5000 is, however capable of this.
Once could order a couple of the newer AM antennas and associated remotes though, and do it that way.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
jameseric 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 791xv system with a remote that has a "P" program button on the back. It has been installed and operating for 6 months without any problems. It is the remote that can out of the brand new 791xv box. If I get another matching 791xv unit can I program to meet my needs?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

the newer units Viper 5000, Clifford 10.5 say they are Responder on the box...but are AM.... the older Responder models like the Clifford 3.5 are FM and i was under the impression (directly from Directed) that they are not compatible... my Clifford 10.5's (holding one in my hand too) are the new AM "Responder" units which are actually only Responder looking... as they are more similar to the 554/564 than to the 3.5/791....they dont send and receive on a split bandwidth like true Responder units... nor do they have the range of the FM units....

it's just DEI's way of giving you less while thinking you are getting more.....

hey jameseric, does the antenna that came with your unit have the long dipole legs that go out the sides about 6 inches or is it the small nubby antenna?    someone may have swapped out your FM gear for the lesser range AM stuff.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
jameseric 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
I have the two that go out to the side. What does that mean? BTW, thanks for helping get to the bottom of this. 
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic