icon

Remote Start Safety

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vietfrost 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing remote start on my manual transmission car. Is there any way I can use the wire the identifies the vehicle is in neutral/park to set it up to check whether the ebrake is up or not? I know I could just ground the wire so it still starts remotely, but I'd like some safety feature on it to prevent it from driving off.

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
If you are using a Remote Start NOT intended for Manual Transmission...........Best thing is NOT put it on.............
There is a device made by PERIPHERAL called a NSS ( Neutral Safety ByPass )
I hope you understand the DANGER in what you are about to do.........
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
What brand/model unit...vehicle/year? Usually you can use the hood input for that kind of application.
Steve G
iskidoo 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Well I'd rather see someone use the manual safe units but what I was referring to is hooking the nuetral sense when wire that he says the vehicle has and a parking brake wire on the hood input. I'd rather see someone do that then hear "Oh don't worry I ALWAYS remember to leave my car in nuetral and set the parking brake" -OR- "I don't want to have to set it up everytime because that's such a hassle". Like being safe is such an inconvenience.
Steve G
iskidoo 
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I agree Bob that the manual safe unit is what he should get. But what I tend to think is every week we see some newbie come in and post "How do I bypass my clutch on such and such..." or try to minipulate the words to get the info because they know we don't want to help them do it unsafely. Or argue..."Oh don't worry I ALWAYS remember to leave my car in nuetral and set the parking brake" -OR- "I don't want to have to set it up everytime because that's such a hassle". Those are usually the guys that researched the old posts and saw us stonewalling them and figured they would just do it anyway. Well as time goes on I always think that guys gonna end up killing someone and we never see them post again about it. I figure maybe 1 out 10 guys that we say NO to actually returns the unit and buys the right one.
In this instance I saw something different. A person who is actually cognizant of the danger of what he is planning to do and looking for some guidance on how to make it safe. If you noticed my answer was pretty vague initially. Yes I would like to see him return the unit and buy one designed for a manual. Do I actually think he will? Well, i can always hope.
But I've thought about how a starter could be adapted to work safely on a standard before I knew that they were actually designed for them. There's using a switch on the parking brake that is only open to ground when it's pulled all the way up. Triggering the clutch bypass relay to work only if it gets a ground from the vehicles nuetral safety wire(if equipped). I did misread his post so thanks for pointing that out.
I never installed one into a standard until recently because I was always afraid that it wasn't safe and I'd be liable. Until I learned about the manual units and finally did one. It was for my brother as a gift because I wanted to see how it all came together. I used the Ultrastart 1256M (manual) unit.
LOL! You know what the first thing he said was?
"I gotta do that setup thing everytime?
That's a pain in the ass!
What happens if I forget to set it up?"
I said "Nothing, but at least it's safe and after 1 or 2 times of forgetting to set it up in the zero degree weather, you'll remember.
So if someone expresses interest in trying to do it safely then yes I'll try to convince them to swap units as I have many times in prior posts. But everytime we say that and we don't hear from that guy again...I think the worst.
So back to my original question...
iskidoo wrote:
What brand/model unit...vehicle/year?
Steve G
iskidoo 
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
In this case? I already said that I misread Bob. I gave examples of how to use a unit if you have the nuetral safety wire. I pointed out the fact that any unit could be used if you take the time to add preventitive measures and you genuinely care about being safe. If someone comes into a forum and says can you help me do this safely...do you automatically assume they are trying to con you? There isn't only one way that is right "Bob's way" as much as you would like to believe it. What's scary is how stubborn and narrow minded some people are. Have you ever purchased something that (although misinformed) you thought would work but then realized that it's not exactly what you needed? Was unable to return it and then figured...hmmm, I can probably use this but I'll have to do a little more work but I'm confident that by asking for help I can achieve my objective. I don't feel that in this instance the guy was trying to circumvent safety and dupe us all. I feel he was trying to get help making it work and making it safe. I'm sure if you look back at my posts involving manual transmissions then you will see that I do not in fact condone or help people that want to just use no safety precautions.
Did you see me post... PM me ;) and I'll tell you how to wire it up so you don't have to be safe? I think not.
Steve G
gh057 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

Not really sure if it's relevant or not and I know im kinda new here. But I have been a guy buying a starter and trying to put it in myself sometimes the customer doesn't always get asked the right questions by a salesperson

ie. Are you putting this in a manual transmission car??

I agree 100% that you shouldn't bypass neutral safety but perhaps we need to not always jump to the conclusion that the person asking is an idiot and doesn't care about what he may be wanting to do.

Just my 2 cents.

gh057 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Case in point

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=65216&PN=1

PS Sorry not sure how to edit or if you can

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Haven't looked at any of the manual tranny RS units referred to here, but just out of curiousity, are these units intended solely for specific manual transmission cars with certain sensors built in by the manufacturer?
e.g., sensor/switch that will provide an indication when the car is in neutral?
A parking brake sensor alone wouldn't be really be safe enough since that would be dependent on the adjustment point where it trips. If the brake is only engaged lightly but the sensor says it's "applied", it wouldn't be sufficient to prevent the car from lurching forward.
It would seem a factory installed neutral gear detection switch would be a basic requirement; so are these "approved" RS units restricted to only cars with that feature?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

Manual trans. DO NOT HAVE a neutral safty "wire"   no matter what you read. If in the first 5 pages of the install manual  it gives ANY referance to a nuetral saftey wire....you got the WRONG unit for a manual tranny.    IT'S THAT SIMPLE...............

Hey bobk.....

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic