icon

01’ F150 Remote Start Blues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jcayer 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
I have searched to no answer to this random problem, so I am starting a thread on it.
I have a 01 F150 with a Remote start system that I installed. The system works great for a day or two, and then the remote start cuts out on me and will not turn over the engine. I have isolated this problem to the PATS key bypass (type from circuit city, where the programmed key goes into the box hidden in the dash, and has the remote loop that goes around the ign. key.
Anyway, it seems after a day or two (mainly hot days it seems) that it then doesn't recognise the signal from the remote key... Does anyone know a fix to this issue? I now have to carry a original key and a non-chip key because I never know if its going to work or not???
Is there a better way to install it other then what I did, which was put the key in the box, hide the box up in the dash and then run the antenna loop to the ign. and wrap it around the key housing???
Thank you very much in advance for any assitance!!!
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  

Get a different bypass system.Those that require a key suck.I have had that problems with Fords.Omega have a DB-PKF that works like a charm.Russ

BigDog
jcayer 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
ok, is there a chain that I might be able to get it locally (best buy, tweeter, circuit, ect??) or do I have to order it online?
Is there any other way to make the antenna work on the key-in-box one that I have, its not old, and seems to work until it gets hot outside or something?
After wrapping the antenna around the colmn, what does everyone use to tape it all together? I was using electrical tape, should I try something else?
Thanks in advance
jcayer 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
What is the proper way to wrap the antenna from the signal box around the ignition switch? I have been tightly winding the antenna around the ignition switch and then electrical taping it into place to make sure the wires dont shift around...
Whats everyone else do?
jcayer 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Im sorry, I didn't clearly explain the issue. The motor trys to turn over, but it will not fire because its missing the key/chip signal.
Physically the motor will crank over, but no fire.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  

If the key is "not present" or not being "recognized" the truck should NOT crank....

I suggest taking the key out of the box and put it into the ignition switch. Try and remote start....if it starts you know that the problem was with the way you had the coil wrapped around the cylinder. You can re-posistion it and trial and error will get it working. OR get a no key required override module!

extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  
KarTuneMan wrote:

If the key is "not present" or not being "recognized" the truck should NOT crank....

I suggest taking the key out of the box and put it into the ignition switch. Try and remote start....if it starts you know that the problem was with the way you had the coil wrapped around the cylinder. You can re-posistion it and trial and error will get it working. OR get a no key required override module!

Truck will crank but won't start in a no transponder situation.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
jcayer 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the truck can crank and crank all day, but will not fire until the chip is recieved...
I did test it by putting a good key in the ignition and remote starting it, which it did fire up.
This weekend I am going to try to relocate the key box, re-route the wires and then rewrap the antenna around the ignition. I recieved a PM from another member on this board, and he suggested trying a different location, incase its having a signal problem (I have it all bundled up in wires and near the head unit area, so it could just be something as simple as that)
I will report back with my findings for others to see, either way, if that doesn't work, I will just have to break down and get a keyless version ;-P
Thanks to all for your helpful suggestions on this one!!
dmielken 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
Also be sure that the antenna ring of your module is sitting right at the front of the key cylinder. The groove at the front is the proper location to set the ring, if the ring is set behind it or further back the remote start will not work. Check to see if your module came with a diagram to show you the proper location.
556u Installation Manual
Check out page 4 of the above PDF to see the proper ring location on the cylinder.
dmielken 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 10:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hmm above link didn't work...
Here's the URL jcayer:
http://www.directechs.com/guides/manuals/ig/accessories/N556U_09-04.pdf

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic