icon

sound fizzing out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
foreverimmortal 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

all right, here's a tought one (at least, i think)!  i've been thinking about it and TRYING to do the whole process-of-elimination thing, but it's just not cutting it.

i have an alpine cdm-7874 cd receiver.  the speaker leads are tied off...the receiver's only function is to supply my amps their signal.  about a month ago i started getting this wierd problem where the music would get staticy, then fade and quit altogether, then get staticy and come back on, over a period of a few seconds; now, this process can happen as many as three times a minute, but usually more like once every five minutes.  my amps don't necessarily go out at the EXACT same time...sometimes the sub amp quits a second or so later, sometimes the amp for my highs/mids.  there is no dimming of the receiver, so i know that the power lead to it's not grounding out.  there's no problem with the amps b/c i've hooked up a discman to the crossover for long periods of time, driving the same roads i normally do, and no problem.  so, it's gotta be my receiver.  i checked the speaker wire leads (coming out of the receiver) to make sure they weren't shorting, which i figured might cause the internal amp to overheat which could cause such problems, but there was no stripped insulation or otherwise exposed wires.  pretty much the only thing left that i can think of is that one of the patch cables going to my crossover might be pinched and is grounding out...however, i didn't THINK that they had enough power going through them to cause a problem if they grounded or shorted, at least enough of a problem to cause the receiver to go out.  however, if one of you pros thinks that the current going through a short in a patch cable could cause the problem, i'll rip em out and check em.  otherwise, do you think that it might just be the receiver going bad?  (oh, by the way...i forgot to say that it happens with greater frequency at higher volumes.)

thanks for any help ya can give me!

ben

'96 Explorer Sport
Kappa Perfect speakers/subs
Profile electronics
Alpine head unit
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like a trip to your local installer. Hard to say without actually being able to tear into the installation and physically checking cables. One thing I would suggest doing (since I can't actually see your vehicle from here) is to make sure the head unit ahs a good ground and use a test RCA cable from the head unit to the crossover. Also try running a seperate power lead from the battery. You can add a relay to switch the power lead when you trun on the key. Try that! It is a cheap and easy way to eliminate the "bad cable" theory. If your unit is grounded good (personally I hate the FACTORY GROUND) and doing the power lead tip doesn't solve your problem, then you probably have a bad head unit., since running the Discman doesn't present a problem.
Clean tools = Clean work!
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
Another thought.....When you were using your Discman as the signal source, what was the power source (trigger) for the turn-on lead to the crossover & amps? I am assuming that you would still use the head unit's trigger. Again, check all your grounds. The best thing to do is to have all your units grounded at the same point in the vehicle. Also check to make sure that when your system does cut out, immediately check the trigger lead for juice. Process of elimination and common sense can figure it out. Good Luck!
Clean tools = Clean work!
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like one of two things to me. The number one suspect for me would be a bad remote wire, or remote signal from HU. When an amp is turned off, and there is still signal to it, it will keep playing until the charge in caps in it drain away, slowly getitng quiet and fuzzy. Then, it would come back, possibly  the same way, though usually with alacrity. The other thing I'd look at would be the RCA's, though it doesn't sound quite right, I've seen some weird things before. I'd look for any kind of damage, or just first try some temporary RCA's run on surface. Te only other thing I think of is the HU, whether fomr heat or what, but it could be that. If you don't find any other problem, I'd definitely see if you could send it into service or something to be looked at.
/NyxBass
foreverimmortal 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  

well, this evening i got some motivation and tried some stuff...isolated thru process of elimination that one of the patch cables might have been damaged (problem didn't surface when using one signal cable to the crossover and ghetto-riggin it from there, so i figured the other one might have some damage).  i left it like that and did about twenty minutes of driving, playing it at a much higher volume than usual...no problems.  so, i went ahead and ripped the "bad" patch cable out (blah!) and checked it over...no damage except at one point where it looked like it might have gotten shoved into a bolt when i put a panel back on...didn't look like the internal shielded wire had gotten into contact with the external unshielded wire wrap, but i couldn't tell for sure, so i went ahead and replaced the RCA cable and put everything back together.  if it doesn't screw up during my commute tomorrow (or, actually, today) i'll know i found the problem...otherwise i'll have to try some of your other suggestions!

thanks much for your help!  hopefully this will have resolved the problem!!

'96 Explorer Sport
Profile electronics
Alpine head unit
foreverimmortal 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2002 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
well, it's been several days now, and i have had absolutely no problems since i replaced that patch cable...so i guess it was the problem.  thanks guys!
'96 Explorer Sport
Profile electronics
Alpine head unit

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic